On This Page


    15% discount for UEL alumni


    Reduction for early payment of fees

    Finding funding for your research

    By studying for a postgraduate research degree, you're investing in your own future, as well as advancing knowledge. Whatever your goals, the knowledge, skills and experience you'll gain will help you stand out in a competitive world and earn more.

    Financing your research degree will always be a major consideration. Fortunately, UEL offers a generous range of bursaries and course fee discounts for postgraduate students.

    There are also many sources of third-party funding. Our Graduate School can advise you about these - including guidance on making applications - although it cannot offer to find funding on behalf of prospective applicants.

    Our Student Money Advice and Rights Team (SMART) can also provide advice on funding, as well as tips on budgeting and managing debts.

    Fees and discounts for research students

    Postgraduate research fees

    All Postgraduate research programmes attract the same fees, regardless of School and Home/EU MPhil/PhD fees are set in line with the Research Funding Council grant:

    Full-time UK/EU students               £5,260          
    Full-time International students      £14,040              
    Part-time UK/EU students              £2,630
    Part-time International students     £7,020  

    PhD by Published Work:
    Part-time UK/EU students              £2,630
    Part-time International students     £11,470 

    Some postgraduate research programmes may charge additional bench fees - these are primarily for lab based programmes  - of up to £6,000.

    Continuing Postgraduate Research and Professional Doctorate Students
    Where students are permitted to go into write-up phase, the following fees will be charged for one year only for full-time and part-time students:

    Home/International students £1000 rebate if thesis is handed in within first six months of 'write-up' status.

    Alumni scholarships

    What are we offering you?
    If you graduated from UEL you will be eligible for a postgraduate course discount. If you progress directly with no gap year will receive a 15% discount, otherwise you will receive a 10% discount. 

    Who's eligible?
    You should previously have been awarded an undergraduate degree, postgraduate degree, professional doctorate or a postgraduate research degree from UEL or one of its predecessor institutions, such as the Polytechnic of East London.

    You cannot apply for the alumni discount if your course involves distance learning or if you are studying towards a post-compulsory education and training (PCET) course or any short course or courses worth less than 120 credits.

    How do I apply?
    There is no application necessary. The Alumni discount will be deducted from your tuition fees after any other scholarships, and before any early payment discount is applied. It can also be used alongside other scholarships and funding.

    Early payment discount

    If you're starting your postgraduate research course in academic year 2021/22, you can save five per cent on your course fees by paying them in full.

    Pay your tuition fees early before the deadline, we will give you a five per cent discount on your tuition fees. Please note that early payment discount deadline will be 2 weeks before the start of teaching.

    External funding

    Doctoral Loan

    A Postgraduate Doctoral Loan can help with course fees and living costs while you study a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD.

    You will be able to apply for funding for the year 2021/22, in the summer of 2021.

    You have to repay your Postgraduate Doctoral Loan at the same time as any other student loans you have. You'll be charged interest from the day you get the first payment.

    You can also get extra support if you have a disability.

    Further information about eligibility visit gov.uk/doctoral-loan

    Trust and charity grants

    What's on offer?

    Trusts and charities offer postgraduate students small grants which don't have to be repaid, although there is stiff competition for available funds.

    Details of what is on offer will depend on the individual organisation and sector involved. Trustfunding.org is a useful starting point for research on charitable organisations and trusts.

    Who's eligible?

    To receive an award, you will have to satisfy very specific conditions, depending on your course. Charitable grants tend to be one-off payments rather than awards that continue throughout your course. So, even if you are successful, you will probably need to find extra funding sources elsewhere.

    How do I apply?

    You should study the website of the charity or trust you are interested in for details of how to apply for any grants they offer.

    Professional and career development loans

    A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan you can use to help pay for work-related learning. Loans range from £300 to £10,000.

    Find out more about professional and career development loans on the UK government website or call the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.

    UEL is a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 3416.

    Employer sponsorship and self-funding

    If you are in work, your employer may sponsor you to do a postgraduate course. Under this arrangement, your employer agrees to pay, or contribute towards your tuition fees for a course that's directly relevant and beneficial to them. This might include accountancy or technical roles such as planning and engineering.

    Most people studying for postgraduate qualifications are self-funding and gain their qualification through a combination of paid work and study.

    Royal Institute of British Architects

    What's on offer?

    If you are planning postgraduate research in architecture, you may be able to apply to the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) for funding.

    The RIBA Research Trust Awards support independent architectural research at any stage of an architect's career. You cannot use the award for PhD or MPhil course fees or subsistence costs, so your application must include a detailed breakdown of costs.

    Who's eligible?

    The RIBA Research Trust Awards are made to named individuals for a closely defined piece of architectural research. You can apply if you are based in another country, but your research work must be mainly carried out within the UK.

    How do I apply?

    Read the information on the RIBA website or contact Hayley Russell, RIBA Education Projects Co-ordinator, on +44 (0)20 7307 3678 or at hayley.russell@riba.org.

    UEL’s School of Psychology offered me a very interesting research project in my field of Health Psychology. I was really excited to work with the research team, and my supervisors gave me a very interesting experience. The bursary UEL offered me was quite enough for London's expenses.

    Charikleia Margariti

    MPhil Psychology

    Research fees and funding FAQs

    Who can I talk to about student finance?

    At UEL we have a dedicated Student Money, Advice and Rights team (SMART). They provide advice and information on funding, bursaries and scholarships, managing your money and much more. 

    If you are not sure of your entitlement, would like help apply for any of the funding or would like advice regarding any other student finance matter, please email thehub@uel.ac.uk or call +44 (0)20 8223 4444.

    Can I get a loan from the bank to fund my postgraduate research study?

    Yes. You can apply for a Professional and Career Development Loan (PCDL) of between £300 and £10,000.

    Is there help for postgraduate students with disabilities?

    Once you have been accepted by UEL for a postgraduate course of study, you can ask our Disability and Dyslexia Service for advice on whether you qualify for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

    Can I pay my fees in instalments?

    Yes, subject to our credit control procedures.  For further information please contact our Credit Control team at creditcontrol@uel.ac.uk or call +44 (0)20 8223 7333.

    My employer is sponsoring me. How do I notify you of this?

    When you enrol at UEL, you need to tell us how your fees will be paid. If your employer is sponsoring you, select the option on UEL Direct, 'I expect to receive support from a commercial sponsor'.

    Both you and your sponsor should complete the Sponsorship Form and then send it to our Credit Control team.

    Alternatively, you can ask your sponsor to send a letter to Credit Control on headed paper, stating the amount of their sponsorship.

    Once Credit Control receives either of these documents, your enrolment will be complete.

    I am an international postgraduate student. Can I receive any financial support?

    Check out what financial support is available on our  International Fees and Funding page or speak to one of our international advisors.