Media foundation pathways
Start your journey
During your Media Foundation year, you will gain the essential skills that will enable you to excel in higher education. You will get a head start on the subject specific knowledge and skills in your degree programme.
Your learning, student experience, and employability will be enriched through activities such as small tutorial groups, industry speakers, field trips and events with current students and alumni.
Throughout the year, you will apply a range of technical and creative skills in relation to media and your chosen field of study.
You will be supported throughout your course and you'll have the freedom to experiment creatively whilst working towards progressing onto your degree programme.
The course content covers a broad range of topics, reflecting the range of skills required to be successful at degree level. This means you will:
- develop your academic and research skills
- study social media
- learn about narrative (storytelling)
- enhance your understanding of current media theories
You will also study towards your chosen field of study and work collaboratively on a project modelled on professional practice.
At the end of the Media Foundation year, you will be equipped with the skills needed to be a successful student at degree level and on track to working in the creative industries.
Why choose UEL?
- Gain the crucial knowledge and experiences needed to succeed on one of our undergraduate degrees.
- Change on to another eligible course if you change your mind after one year.
- Many of our Foundation Year students have gone on to achieve first class degrees and studied at a postgraduate and PhD level.
- Fellow students in higher levels of study will be your mentors, supporting you in and outside class.
How it works
Choose one of our media or writing degrees that include a foundation year.
Complete your foundation yearShow
After you’ve completed your foundation year you can move to any eligible degree.
Complete your chosen BA courseShow
Complete your chosen BA (Hons) degree, leading to many employment opportunities. You could even continue study on one of our postgraduate degrees.
I chose UEL because it offered the course that I wanted and the lecturers were all very knowledgeable about their fields. The Foundation year was particularly useful to me, as it helped me find my feet in academic life, whilst also challenging me to further my knowledge. I've been using a lot of the academic skills I gained from Foundation in my undergraduate studies, and I will keep using them throughout my degree, as well as my future career."
BA (Hons) Computer Game Development (with Foundation Year)
Our Foundation Year courses are perfect for you, if you...
- are not sure if university life is the right path for you
- are thinking of re-training and would like an introduction to the area
- have been away from education for a long time, or have an incomplete education history
Direct route into our Media and Writing courses
If you want to know more about our media foundation courses, get in touch via the email below - we're always happy to help!