Dr Keith Winter
Department of Architecture & Visual Arts , School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering
Dr Keith Winter is the course leader for BA (Hons) Interior Design. He has worked in small medium and large practices throughout the UK and Ireland.
- PhD MArch PG Dip Arch BSc (Hons) ARB
Areas Of Interest
- Interior design
Dr Keith Winter is the course leader for BA (Hons) Interior Design. He has worked in small medium and large practices throughout the UK and Ireland. He was part of the design team for the Scottish Parliament by Enric Moralles in 2005. He designed a wedding palace tower in Moscow and masterplanned Leith Waterfront in Edinburgh for RMJM in 2006.
With Edge Design Workshop EDW he designed a £1m Container project, an £8m Data Centre and was part of the team that installed a 1960's Futuro House on the roof of Central Saint Martins (featured in the Evening Standard, Timeout Magazine, Guardian). He has designed and detailed a number of private residences.
He is currently designing and building a future sustainable city with his experimental studio Yeah Totally Ltd. He is an ARB qualified architect since 2008 and consulted on many design projects with firms such as CSK Architects, White Ink Architects, Clarkes Facades and Kingfisher Group with Bershka Clothing.
In 2015 he designed and oversaw the refurbishment of the prestigious UCL Art Museum in the Grade 1 listed building on Gower Street. He has shown artwork internationally around the world under the name Keef Winter including co-representing the Northern Irish Pavilion Venice Biennial in 2016. He is represented by Galeria Breve in Mexico City
and has an upcoming solo presentation in Salon Acme in February 2022.
He has taught and lectured in many Universities around the world including Tokyo University of the Arts GEIDAI, NZU, RCA, ECA, UU and UCL. In 2013 he published the 'Handyman Aesthetic' for his PhD in philosophy, architecture and sculpture.
Artist Keef Winter lives and works in London. Winter's studio process generates abstract apparatus that reference urban dissonance and reflect on cultish practices. His work seeks to embody, in object and sound, a state of transformation that is birthed from symbolic and physical enactments of rupture. His performances mix electronics, sheet steel, vocal samples and drumming.
- X-Operative, Published by X Marks the B?kship, London 2014
- I Can Be Yours, Keef Winter, Allotrope Press, London 2013, ISBN (978-1-85923-254-5)
- The Handyman Aesthetic, The International Journal of the Arts in Society, Vol. 6, Issue 2, p.151 - 170, 2011
- Allotrope Press editions 01- 13, 2011 - present, ISSN 2046 - 2859
- Across the Gulf, Dr Irene Barberis & Dr Keith Winter, Metasenta Publishing, Melbourne (ISBN – 978-0-646-51698-1),
- Melbourne 2010 City Supplements, PS2 Publications, Belfast, May 2008 (ISBN -978-0-9555358-1-9)
- Private Places in Public Spaces, Feature, Perspective Magazine, Nov, 2007 Bloid, Steve Mykietyn & Keith Winter, Zine 01-07, Published in slashseconds.org
- Metronome No. 10 & 11, Documenta XII magazine issues, Metronome Press, contributor
- The Quietus, We Can Build You: The Handyman Aesthetic of Keef Winter, http://thequietus.com/articles/22552-keef-winter-handyman-aestheticsinterview June 4 2017
- Daily Lazy, 'On Becoming Fluid', http://www.dailylazy.com/2017/03/merike-estna-keef-winterathardwick.html April 8 2017
- AQNB, 'Deep Inside', http://www.aqnb.com/2016/04/05/keef-winterdeep-inside-2016-inconversation/, 5 April 2016
- Terremoto, 'Deep Inside', http://terremoto.mx/deep-inside/, March 10 2016
- Hyperallergic, 'Heady Dreams Collide in Bushwick', Claire Voon, http://hyperallergic.com/130156/heady-dreams-collide-in-bushwick/, June 2 2014
- Irish Times, 'No need for anxiety as Tulca engages in Galway', Aidan Dunne, http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/visual-art/no-need-foranxiety-as-tulca-engagesingalway-1.2001128, Nov 18 2014
- Idolmag, 'London Dust', http://www.idolmag.co.uk/arts/london-dustrut-blees-luxemburgandkeef-winter/ July 2014
- Aesthetica, 'I had no idea', Angela Darby, http://www.aestheticamagazine.com/i-had-noideaand-examination-at-platform-arts-belfast/ 2013
His recent exhibitions include:
'sky every day', with Richard Serra, N. Dash, Christine Corday, curated by B.Barretts Projects, projects+gallery, St Louis, 2020; Mahler Lewitt Residency, Spoleto 2019, 'Can’t Help It' (solo) at Black Tower Projects, London 2017; 'Pre-Fix', Unofficial Northern Ireland Pavilion, Sella Del Giardini, Venice 2017; 'Swimming with Sharks' (solo), Galeria Breve, Mexico City 2017; 'On Becoming Fluid', Hardwick Gallery, Cheltenham 2017; 'Wysing Polyphonic', Wysing Arts Centre, Cambridge 2016; 'Sticky Enough', Chalton Gallery, London 2016; 'Salon Sebastian Monteux', Glasgow International 2016; 'Deep Inside' (solo), Galeria Breve, Mexico City 2016; FUSO & Carpe Diem, Lisbon 2015; 'Post-Terminal & Ex-Ultimate', West, Den Haag 2016; 'Center Point' (solo), House of St. Barnabas, London 2015; 'Let's build our own tomb', Matt's Gallery, London 2015; 'Neutral', TULCA Festival of Visual Art, Galway 2014; 'London Dust', Chandelier Projects, London 2014; 'Stone Dreams' ORGY PARK, New York 2014
BA (Hons) Interior Design
Our course gives you the educational and creative framework and the necessary contacts to launch you on your path to becoming an interior designer.
- Artist Talk, UCL, Plinth 1, UCL Museums, London, May 2019
- Artist Talk, Royal College of Art, Masters in Architecture, November 2016
- UCL Object Handling in regard to the UCL Art Museum collections and functions, 28 February 2015
- Artist Talk (performance with Emily Beber), Chandelier Projects with Royal College of Art, with Hayley Newman, Rut B Luxemburg, Daniel C. Blight, Douglas Murphy, 20 March 2014
- RCA Radio, Curating Contemporary Art, Handyman Aesthetic Presentation, Royal College of Art, 13 June 2014
- Drinking/Casting Workshop, Vulpes Vulpes Projects, 14 May 2014
- Multiplicities, Dilettantes & Polymaths, Organiser and speaker at symposium, Bruno Glint Gallery, London, 21 August 2013
- Artist's Talk, I'm Squatting in your Condo, 3331 Arts Chiyoda, Tokyo, November 2011
- Future Tour, MA in Public, Ulster University, Sept 28 2011 & PS2 Gallery, 13 June 2009
- Artist's Talk, Sterile Environments, Catalyst Arts, Belfast, 20 June 2011
- Handyman Aesthetic, Arts in Society Conference, Berlin Academy of Humanities and Sciences, Berlin, 9 March 2011
- Pecha Kucha, Belfast Exposed Gallery, 8 May 2008 Future Academy Presentation & Performance, Mori Arts Museum, Tokyo & Nagoya 2006