Kalodimou received her bachelor's degree in Human Physiology and her master's degree in Human Molecular Genetics from the Imperial College University of Medicine in London, UK. She completed her PhD at the University of Medicine in Athens, Greece, with an emphasis on stem cells and factors affecting their viability and absolute numbers.
Since 2006, Dr. Kalodimou has studied and worked with stem cells from placenta, umbilical cord and adipose tissue, in everyday practice and their applications in regenerative medicine, clinical trials, medical tourism and Flow Cytometry. Also is working in the area of human genetics & population genetics as well as cellular standards.
In collaboration with the Hellenic Flow Cytometry Society, Kalodimou has developed quality control schemes for stem cell marker enumeration. The goal of her work is to find helpful new applications for flow cytometry, evaluate risk factors for stem cell infusion, and improve the clarity and accessibility of measurements by flow cytometry. Her work quantifies and ranks all risks of flow cytometry enumeration to prevent and minimize the false-positive results from different cytometer uses. She is also working to establish combinations of monoclonal antibodies for mesenchymal and adipose tissue stem cell enumeration.
In addition to collaboration with state universities and pharmaceutical companies on research projects (14), Kalodimou frequently publishes (43 & 9 books) her findings. She has 2 patents.
The Greek version of her first book, Basic Principles in Flow Cytometry, was published in 2010 (in 2015 was placed as reference material in winter semester 7th at Alexandrio ATEI Thessaloniki’s-GR), while in 2013 the English version of her book was published by the American Health Organization and AABB standards – AABB Press USA.
The English version of her book was placed as a medical student reference material in the library of Stanford University in 2014, while is a reference material book in BHARATHIAR University, India for postgraduate diploma in molecular medicine. Also from 2016 is a Bestseller. The two books are the only books in the field about flow cytometry.
Her new book: A Handbook to Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Regenerative Medicine was published in June, 2015 by Speg.co.
- AABB Lead/Sole assessor USA,
- a member at the AABB Cellular Therapy Accreditation Program Unit for worldwide standards development and accreditation,
- the Leader (2013-2016) at AABB CT Subsection: CT Product Manufacturing and Testing,
- voting Committee Member/writer at AABB Cellular Therapies Standards Committee (9th & 10th edition of Standards for Cellular Therapy Services),
- Placed to serve as a Mentor for Cellular Therapy, Professional Engagement Program (PEP),
- member of two subsections of the AABB Cellular Therapies Section,
- a student mentor for Imperial College University of Medicine in London for the year 2018-2021.
- Advisory panel of Parent’s guide to Cord Blood, USA.
- Advocacy Ambassador at NMDP/Be The Match at the state of Michigan.
- She is a Health Sector Member of New Democracy and a Health Tourism Sector Member.
Her biography was included in the Marquis Who is Who of the world for the years 2014, 2015 & 2018, Marquis Who is Who in America 2016, Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering 2017 & in May 2017 had received the 'Who is Who' (Marquis) 2017 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award.
She received the experienced "Shining Star" award, AABB PEP Program, 2017, the AABB PEP Volunteer of the Year Award for 2018, she is the AABB PEP International Ambassador, a TEDx Speaker & a Skill Mentor at EUvsVirus for 2020 Covid-19 Pandemic & in October 2020 she received the AABB President’s Award for her work in cellular therapy and as a mentor, (1st award that was given to a non-American recipient). Also, Clinical Reviewer of the Year by Select Science: Scientists' Choice Awards 2021
She is on the editorial board and a reviewer in several scientific international journals as well as a board member in scientific organizing committee's for medical conferences worldwide.