Dr Slawomir Raszewski
Energy Policy, International Political Economy of Oil and Gas, Environmental and Social Governance, Sustainability
Department of Strategy and Leadership , Royal Docks School of Business and Law
Dr Raszewski is Programme Leader on the MSc Oil and Gas Management (OGM) and Senior Lecturer in the Royal Docks School of Business and Law (RDSBL), University of East London (UEL). Prior to joining UEL, he taught in the School of Public Policy, University College London. Dr Raszewski's research interests lie at the intersection of international political economy and business strategy. He has undertaken research and scholarly activities internationally, including in Alaska, Australia, Azerbaijan, China, Iran, Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkey. His advisory and consulting experience includes political risk, resource governance and regulation. Slawomir is also an affiliate of the Energy Institute (UK). Dr Raszewski holds a PhD from the University of Leeds and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Dr Raszewski welcomes enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants who are interested in PhD study.
- PhD (University of Leeds)
- Fellow (Higher Education Academy)
- Affiliate, The Energy Institute (UK)
Areas Of Interest
- Centre for Innovation, Management, and Enterprise
- Energy governance
- International political economy of oil and gas
- Energy security
- Environmental and Social Governance
- Sustainability, innovation, and low-carbon transition
Teaching: My curriculum has been co-developed and co-delivered with the industry and benefits from problem-based learning and unique industry case study materials that supplement traditional teaching methods (directed and self-directed learning).
Research-informed teaching is embedded in my practice. It draws on UEL's commitment to employability as 'the Careers-led university' and combines the research-led and the careers-led dimensions as a unique, hybrid teaching practice model in its own right. In the past few years I have engaged the model through a sustained increase in student engagement with business research and practice. Students have benefited from dedicated events as part of the teaching curriculum meeting with researchers and practitioners drawn from a range of public and private organisations including Aberdeen University, BP, Equinor, HSBC, IHS Markit, Standard and Poor's Platts, and Wood Mackenzie. My hybrid model of research-careers-led teaching has been recognised by UEL's Vice-Chancellor and President with a prize for significant impact in 'Careers-led Teaching and Learning' in June 2020.
- External examiner (Nottingham Trent University)
- Visiting Professor (Jagiellonian University; University of Electronic Science and Technology of China)
- International energy companies
RESEARCH AND IMPACT
My research on market access has been funded by Directorate-General for Trade, European Commission (TRADE18/H1/H10).
Most recent research
Energy policy failures, recovery, and resilience
- Raszewski, S. (ed) 'International Political Economy of Oil and Gas', London: Palgrave MacMillan, 2018.
- Raszewski, S. and Umbach, F. 'Kazakhstan between the Key Energy Demand Centres Europe and Asia - Geo-economic and Geopolitical Dimensions and Implications', Konrad Adenauer Foundation: Bonn, 2016.
- Raszewski, S. 'Asian Energy Markets: the Impact of Shifting Global Politics', in: T. Hunter, I. Herrera, P. Crossley, and G. Alvarez (eds) Handbook of Energy Law, Abingdon: Routledge, 2020.
- Raszewski, S., Nowak, Z. 'Shifting Russian Energy Geopolitics', in: T. Hunter, I. Herrera, P. Crossley, and G. Alvarez (eds) Handbook of Energy Law. Abingdon: Routledge, 2020.
- Raszewski, S. 'Emerging Economies and Energy: the Case of Turkey', in: A. Goldthau, M.F. Keating and C. Kuzemko (eds) Handbook of International Political Economy of Energy and Natural Resources'. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017.
- Raszewski, S. 'Russian Energy Projects and the Global Climate, Geopolitics and Development Conundrum', in: R. Leal-Arcas & J. Wouters (eds), Research Handbook on EU Energy Law and Policy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017, pp. 215-234
- Raszewski, S. 'Shale Gas Policy in the European Union', in: T. Hunter (ed) Handbook of Shale Gas Law and Policy, Cambridge: Intersentia, 2016.
- Raszewski, S. 'Shale Gas and Energy Security', in: T. Hunter (ed) Handbook of Shale Gas Law and Policy, Cambridge: Intersentia, 2016.
- Raszewski, S., Hunter, T. 'Australia's National Interest in Supplying Gas Resources to the Asian Markets', in: J. Farrar, M. Hiscock and V.I. Lo (eds) Australia's Trade, Investment and Security in the Asian Century, Singapore, London and Hackensack, NJ: World Scientific Publishing, 2015.
- Raszewski, S. 'States over Markets? Development of a Turkish Gas Hub and its Effects on Sustainable Market Development', in: G. Nodia and C. Stefes (eds) Security, Democracy and Development in the Southern Caucasus and the Black Sea Region, Bern: Peter Lang, 2015.
- Raszewski, S. 'Delimitation of Competences between Member States and the EU in the External Energy Field: the Case of the Caspian Region', in: K. Talus, B. Delvaux and M. Hunt (eds) EU Energy Law and Policy Issues: The State and Energy Markets in Search of a Balance, Brussels: Intersentia, 2014.
- Raszewski, S. 'Security and Economics of Energy in North-East Europe', in: C. Kuzemko, A.V. Belyi, A. Goldthau and M.F. Keating (eds) Dynamics of Energy Governance in Europe and Russia, Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2012.
Policy Reports, News Media, Practitioner Publications
- Raszewski, S. et al. 'Spring statement 2022: quick analysis about standard of living, energy crisis and more - from experts', The Conversation, 23 March 2022.
- Raszewski, S. 'Why Russia still has Europe over a barrel when it comes to oil supply', The Conversation, 11 March 2022.
- Raszewski, S. 'What Are the Prospects for International Energy Markets and the Oil and Gas Industry in the Aftermath of COVID-19?', Valdai Expert Opinions, 27 July 2020
- Raszewski, S. 'Crude Oil Price Wars in the Era of Pandemics', Valdai Expert Opinions, 17 March 2020
- Raszewski, S. 'Not Business as Usual: OPEC, US Shale, and Russia', Valdai Expert Opinions, 18 December 2017
- Raszewski, S. 'To be or not to be? OPEC Summit and the Essence of Decision and Compliance', Valdai Expert Opinions, 2 December 2016.
- Raszewski, S. with H. Hecking, A. Vatansever and S. Schulte, 'Options for Gas Supply Diversification for the EU and Germany in the next Two Decades', The Institute of Energy Economics at the University of Cologne and the European Centre for Energy and Resource Security, Cologne/London, October 2016.
- Raszewski, S. 'Europe's Dependency on Russian Gas is not likely to change any time soon'. The Conversation, 1 March 2015.
- Raszewski, S., Hunter, T. 'Gas and Energy Security Policy in Australia: Japan as a secure Energy Consumer', Centre for International Minerals and Energy Law Briefing Paper, University of Queensland, 2014.
- Raszewski, S. 'When one door closes, another opens: How the failure of the Turkey - Austria natural gas pipeline project has led to recovery, resilience and scalability of successor projects', Energy Policy, Spring 2022.
- Özdemir, V. and Raszewski, S. 'State and Substate Oil Trade: The Turkey - Kurdistan Regional Government Deal', Middle East Policy Vol. 23, Issue 1, 2016.
- Raszewski, S. 'Energy Security Perceptions in Poland and Turkey', Polish Quarterly of International Affairs Vol. 24, Issue 1, 2015.
- Raszewski, S. and Gorski, J. 'Energy Security or Energy Governance? Legal and Political Aspects of Sustainable Exploration of Shale Gas in Poland', Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law Vol. 12, Issue 3, 2014.
MBA Master of Business Administration
Become a business leader. Get the skills and connections to work in senior management, business consultancy, or build your own enterprise.Read more
MSc Oil and Gas Management
Our MSc Oil and Gas Management is ideal for people with no prior experience of energy management, as well those already working in the industry.Read more
I teach a wide range of modules including:
- Oil and Gas Management
- Leadership for Sustainability
- Innovation, Sustainability and Transition in the Oil and Gas Sector
- Business Simulation with Professional Development
- Governing International Oil and Gas