Professor Nira Yuval-Davis
Department of Social Sciences , School of Education and Communities
Nira Yuval-Davis is Professor Emeritus, Honorary Director of the Research Centre on Migration, Refugees and Belonging (CMRB) at the University of East London.
- BA, MA, PhD
- October 1966. BA (Sociology and Psychology) from the Hebrew University; Jerusalem, Israel
- June 1972. MA (1st class; Sociology) from the Hebrew University
- December 1979. PhD (Sociology) from Sussex University
Areas Of Interest
- Politics of Belonging
- Identities and Social Action
- Gender Relations
- Borders and Bordering
Nira Yuval-Davis is Professor Emeritus, Honorary Director of the Research Centre on Migration, Refugees and Belonging (CMRB) at the University of East London. She has been the President of the Research Committee 05 (on Racism, Nationalism, Indigeneity and Ethnic Relations) of the International Sociological Association, founder member of Women Against Fundamentalism and the international research network on Women In Militarized Conflict Zones and has acted as a consultant for various UN and human rights organisations. Nira Yuval-Davis has won the 2018 International Sociological Association Distinguished Award for Excellence in Research and Practice. She has written widely on intersected gendered nationalisms, racisms, fundamentalisms, citizenships, identities, belonging/and everyday bordering as well as on situated intersectionality and dialogical epistemology. Among her books are Woman-Nation-State, 1989, Racialized Boundaries,1992, Unsettling Settler Societies, 1995, Gender and Nation, 1997, The Warning Signs of Fundamentalism, 2004, The Politics of Belonging: Intersectional Contestations, 2011, Women Against Fundamentalism, 2014 and Bordering (Forthcoming). Her works have been translated into more than ten languages.
Previous posts held
October 1974 - January 2003 Full‑time member of staff in the Sociology Division at Thames Polytechnic (later to be renamed the University of Greenwich), London; Since June 1995 - Professor in Gender and Ethnic Studies
1995 - 2003 Professor in Gender and Ethnic Studies, University of Greenwich
2003 - 2009 Professor and Director of the Postgraduate Studies Programme in Gender, Sexualities and Ethnic Studies at the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of East London (UEL)
2009 - 2017 Professor and Director and the Research Centre on Migration, Refugees and Belonging (CMRB) at the School of Social Sciences, University of East London
2009 - 2016 - P/T Guest Professor at the Research Centre for Gender Studies, University of Umea, Sweden
Since September 2014, an Honorary Professor at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Aalborg, Denmark
Former President and permanent board member of the International Sociological Association Committee 05 on Racism, Nationalism, Indigeneity and Ethnic Relations;
Member of the Sociology sub-panel of the 2008 RAE (UK national Research Assessment Exercise) and of the 2014 REF (UK national Research Excellence Framework) 2008 RAE (UK national Research Assessment Exercise) and of the 2014 REF (UK national Research Excellence Framework);
Editor of the book series Politics of Intersectionality for Palgrave Macmillan, a member of the editorial collective of the journal Feminist Dissent and on the editorial board of the journals:
Das Argument (Germany), Ethnicities, (UK), the Journal of Inter-cultural Studies (Australia), the International Feminist Journal of Politics (Routledge), Signs: Journal on women and culture and society (USA), New Formations (the UK), Social Inclusion (Switzerland), Sociology of Race and Ethnicity (American Sociological Association), Soundings (the UK).
Professor Nira Yuval-Davis is the Director of the Centre for Research on Migration, Refugees and Belonging (CMRB), which brings together the interdisciplinary work carried out within the School, in the related areas of migration and refugee studies; diasporas and social cohesion; racism, nationalism and political religions; as well as citizenship, identity and belonging. CMRB also collaborates with individuals, academic institutions and organisations outside UEL on research, conferences and seminars, in order to build knowledge on these crucial issues and provide a space for debate and creative thinking.
Financed through the EU's 7th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development, EUBorderscapes, is an international research project that tracks and interprets conceptual change in the study of borders. It is a large-scale project with a consortium that includes 22 partner institutions from 17 different states, including several non-EU countries. The EUBorderscapes project studies conceptual change in relation to fundamental social, economic, cultural and geopolitical transformations that have taken place in the past decades. Nira Yuval-Davis is leading the research work package 09 which compares intersectional situated everyday bordering in different kinds of European borders as well as in different European metropolitan cities. In particular, she has led the UEL team studying the Calais-Dover border, everyday bordering in Metropolitan London and Roma and bordering.
Further information about the project is available at UEL's Centre for Research on Migration, Refugees and Belonging.
Identity, Performance and Social Action: Community Theatre Among Refugees
This ESRC research project brought together theatre and social sciences in the study of the lives and identities of Refugees. The research explored constructions and politics of identity and belonging among refugee communities in London - Kosovan, Kurdish, Somali and a mixed refugee course. These Identity constructions were narrated and performed during interactive community theatre events and consequent reflections in several community centres in London.
Further information about the project is available on the IPSA page.
Refereeing publications and editorial work
Currently on the Editorial Collective of Feminist Dissent as well as on the Advisory Boards of Das Argument (Germany), Ethnicities, (UK), the Journal of Inter-cultural Studies (Australia), the International Feminist Journal of Politics (Routledge), Signs: Journal on women and culture and society (USA), New Formations (the UK), Social Inclusion (Switzerland), Sociology of Race and Ethnicity (American Sociological Association), Soundings (the UK)
Reviewed articles, refereed articles, monographs and proposals for book series as well as endorsed books among others for the American Sociological Review, Capital and Class; Ethnic and Racial Studies; Ethnicities; Feminist Review; International Feminist Journal of Politics; Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Signs, Sociology; International Sociology; Sociological Review; Theory, Culture & Society; Citizenship Studies; Journal of Middle East Studies; Ashgate Press, Blackwell Publications, Oxford University Press, Palgrave Macmillan, Polity Press, Routledge and Sage Publications.
Reviewed research proposals for the ESRC, the ESF, the SSRC, the Australian Social Sciences Research Council, the Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, the European Science Foundation, the Icelandic Research Fund, the Nuffield Foundation, the Austrian Marshall Plan Foundation, the Viennese Social Sciences and Humanities Council, Newcastle University in Australia, University of Vienna, Danish Agency for Science, UN Research Institute for Social Development, Geneva.
Subject editor of Politics and the state of the Routledge Encyclopaedia of Women, Routledge, New York, 2001
Currently on the Editorial Advisory Boards of Das Argument (Germany), Ethnicities, (UK), Hagar (Israel), the Journal of Inter-cultural Studies (Australia), the International Feminist Journal of Politics (Routledge), Signs: Journal on women and culture and society (USA), Social Inclusion (Switzerland), Sociology of Race and Ethnicity (American Sociological Association).
Other scholarly activities
- 2002 - 2006 - elected President of the Research Committee 05 on Nationalism, Racism and Ethnic Relations of the International Sociological Association (after being elected to serve on the board since 1994 and as Vice President during 1998-2002; since 2006 a permanent board member).
- Since January 2003, on the Advisory Board of ASEN (the Association of Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism), LSE, London.
- Appointed member of the 2008 RAE (UK national Research Assessment Exercise) and of the 2014 REF (UK national Research Excellence Framework) Sociology sub-panels.
- Since August 2009, an editor of the book series on the Politics of Intersectionality, Palgrave Macmillan.
- A Founder Member of the International Research Network on Women in Militarized Conflict Zones (1998) and of Women Against Fundamentalism (1989).
- December 2002 - A member of the investigative international women's delegation to India, International Initiative for Justice in the Gujarat.
- February 2003 - A member of an international assessment team that reviewed the sociology degrees at York University, Toronto.
- May 2004 and June 2005 - A member of the expert consultation team on the gender initiative of Amnesty International.
- June 2006 - A member of the expert advisory team of the UNDP evaluation of its work in post-conflict societies.
- 2007-09 - A member of the panel of experts of the European Include-Ed Project, CREA, Barcelona.
- Since 2008 - a member of the Academic Forum of Runnymede Trust
- June 2009 - expert consultation, The International Council on Human Rights Policy, Geneva
- Since 2016 - a member of the Migration, Refugees and Settlement group of the Academy of Social Sciences
- Membership of the British Sociological Association, International Sociological Association, Women's Studies Network, ASEN (Association for the Study of Ethnicity and Nationalism), AWID (Association of Women In Development).
- Subject editor of Politics and the State of the Routledge Encyclopaedia of Women, Routledge, New York, 2001
Recent conference organising
- July 2006, on the organising committee of the congress of the International Sociological Association, Durban, South Africa; co-organised the semi-plenary symposia as well as the eighteen panels of the RC05.
- September 2007, co-organised an international workshop on "Feminisms and Activism: Transversal Politics in Contemporary Europe and Across the Globe", funded by the European Science Foundation and the Global Fund for Women which took place at the Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies, Inter-College, Cyprus.
- March 2008, co-organised a multi-disciplinary national conference on the 'Methodological, Theoretical and Political Aspects of Participatory Research among Refugees', ESRC Identities and Social Action research Programme & UEL.
- February 2010, CMRB and Runnymede conference on Migration, Racism and Religion, UEL.
- March 2010, CMRB and the European Network on Migration and Immigration on Migration, the media and 'the message', UEL.
- February 2011, CMRB and Runnymede conference on Secularism, Racism and the Politics of Belonging, UEL.
- April 2012, CMRB and associated Consortium, conference on 2012 London: City of Paradox, UEL.
- December 2013, CMRB, Runnymede and LSE Centre for the Study of Human Rights, Anti-Jewish, Anti-Muslims Racism and the Palestine/Israel issue.
- February 2015, CMRB, Runnymede, LSE Centre for the Study of Human Rights and the Institute of Middle East Studies, SOAS, conferences on Anti-Jewish and Anti-Muslim Racisms and the Question of Palestine/Israel.
- November 2015, CMRB and the EUBorderscapes Project, UEL, conference on Policy and Impact, Borders and Bordering in Contemporary Europe.
- Sociology, Politics, Thinking and Acting: A Festschrift for Nira Yuval-Davis, edited by Paolo Cardullo, Rahila Gupta and Jamie Hakim, 2014 (online publication, Working paper no. 2 of CMRB.
- "Interview with Professor Nira Yuval-Davis: After Gender and Nation", in Studies of Ethnicity and Nationalism, vol.9,1:128-138, May 2009.
- "Conversation with Founding Scholars of Intersectionality: Michelle Fine, Kimberle Crenshaw, Nira Yuval-Davis" in Michele Trace Berger & Kathleen Guidroz, (eds.), The Intersectional Approach: Transforming the Academy through Race, Class and Gender, University of North Carolina Press.
- Film: Everyday Borders
- Leftists in Israel: Matzpen, The Israeli Socialist Organisation. Monographs in Sociology Series, the Department of Sociology, the Hebrew University, 1977 (Hebrew).
- Israeli Women and Men: Divisions Behind The Unity, Change Publications, London 1982 (pamphlet).
- Worlds Apart: Women Under Immigration and Nationality Laws in Britain, with WING (Women, Immigration and Nationality Group), Pluto Press, 1985.
- Racialised Boundaries: Race, Nation, Gender, Colour and Class and the Anti-Racist Struggle, co-authored with F. Anthias, Routledge, 1992
- Gender and Nation, Sage, 1997 (translated by now to Croatian (2006, Balkan Press), German (2001, Verlag die Brotsuppe), Greek (2013, University Studio Press), Hungarian (2005, UMK), Korean (2012, Greenbee), Macedonian (2001, Sigma Press), Russian (2001, Elpa ), Slovenian (2009, Zalozba Sophia), Spanish (2004, Flora Tristan, Lima) & Turkish (2003, Iletisim)
- The Politics of Belonging: Intersectional Contestations, London: Sage, 2011
- Bordering (co-authored with G. Wemyss & K. Cassidy), Polity Press, 2017
- 'Some Observations on the National Identity of the Israeli Arabs', with Y. Peres. Human Relations, Vol. 12, no. 3, 1969 (was translated to German in A. Flores & A. Scholch (eds.), Palastinenser in Israel, Campus Verlag, 1983, pp. 127-143).
- 'National Education for the Arab Youth in Israel: a Comparative Analysis of Curricula', with Y. Peres and A. Ehrlich, The Jewish Journal of Sociology, vol. 12, no. 2., 1969
- "The Attitudes of Arab Pupils towards Jews as Individuals and towards Israel as a State" with Y. Peres, Megamot (Hebrew), vol. 17, no. 3.
- "Ideology without Revolution: Jewish Women in Israel", with D. Hecht, Khamsin, 6, 1978, pp.97-117.
- "Sociology of the Palestinians in Israel", a review article, Khamsin, 7, 1980, pp.145-149.
- "The Bearers of the Collective: Women and Religious Legislation in Israel", Feminist Review, no. 4, 1980, pp. 15-27.
- "Women as National Reproducers: The Nationality Act (1981)", with L. London, Formations on Nations, RKP, London, Winter 1983 4, pp. 212-218.
- "Contextualizing Feminism: Gender, Ethnic & Class divisions", with F. Anthias, Feminist Review, No 15, November 1983, pp.62-75. (also included in British Feminist Thought, edited by T. Lovell, Blackwells, 1990; in Defining Women, ed. by L. McDowell & R. Pringle, Polity Press, 1992; and in Marco Martiniello, Jan Rath (eds.), Selected Studies in International Migration and Immigrant Incorporation, Amsterdam University Press, 2009)
- "The Current Crisis in Israel", Capital and Class, no. 22, Spring 1984, pp.5-14.
- "Front and Rear: Sexual Divisions of Labour in the Israeli Military", Feminist Studies, Vol.11, No 3, Autumn 1985, pp.649-676. (also included in Women, Ideology and The State, ed. by H. Afshar, Macmillan, 1986).
- "Ethnic/Racial Divisions and the Nation in Britain and Australia", Capital and Class, no. 28, Spring 1986, pp.87-104.
- "The Jewish Collectivity and National Reproduction in Israel", Khamsin, Autumn, 1986, pp. 60-93 (also appeared in Radical America, Fall, 1988).
- "Marxism and Jewish Nationalism", History Workshop Journal, issue 24, Autumn 1987, London, pp. 82-110.
- "The 'Equal Opportunities Community' and the Anti Racist Struggle", (with H. Cain), Critical Social Policy, no. 29, autumn, 1990, pp.5-26.
- "Should we go?/Could we stay? The Emigration of Jews from the Soviet Union", Theory, Culture and Society, Vol. 7, 1990, pp. 159-167.
- "The Citizenship Debate: Women, Ethnic Processes and the State", Feminist Review, no.39, Autumn 1991, pp.58-68. (also appeared in German in A. Kalpaka & N. Rathzel (eds.) Rassismus und Migration in Europa, Argument-Sonderband AS 201, 1992, pp.216 -228)
- "Diversity and Commonality: Theory and Politics" (with S. Allen & F. Anthias), in a special issue on Gender, Race and Class edited by S. Allen, F. Anthias N. Yuval-Davis of The International Review of Sociology, no.2, 1991, pp. 23-28.
- "Fundamentalism, Multiculturalism and Women", in a special issue on Gender, Race and Class edited by S. Allen, F. Anthias N. Yuval-Davis of The International Review of Sociology, no.2, 1991, pp.139-174 (also appeared in J. Donald & A. Rattansi (eds.) Race, Culture and Difference, Sage & the Open University 1992).
- "Le fondamentalisme, le Multiculturalisme et les Femmes' (with G. Sahgal) in Les Temps Modernes, nos. 540-541, July-August 1991, pp. 258-270 (French).
- "Zionism, Anti Zionism and Contemporary Constructions of Jewishness", Review of Middle East Studies, Winter 1992
- "The (Dis)Comfort of Being 'Hetero'", Special Issue on Heterosexuality, Feminism & Psychology, vol. 2 no 3, 1992 pp.438-440 (also reprinted in the Reader on Heterosexuality ed. by S. Wilkinson & C. Kitzinger, Sage, 1993, pp.52-54)
- "Gender and Nation", Ethnic and Racial Studies, vol. 16, no. 4 October 1993, London, pp. 621-632 (also to appear in R. Miller & R. Romford (ed.) Gender Identities in Divided Societies, Routledge, 1997, in Spanish in the Journal Arenal, winter 1996/7; and in Space, Gender, Knowledge, ed. by Linda McDowell & Joanne Sharp, Arnold, September 1997)
- "Nationalism and Racism" in Cahiers de Recherche Sociologique, no. 20, Canada 1993, pp.183-202.
- "Women, Ethnicity and Empowerment", in Feminism and Psychology, Sage 1994, Vol. 4(1), pp. 179-197 (also reprinted in the Reader on Shifting Identities, Shifting Racisms, ed. by K. Bhavnani & A. Phoenix, Sage 1994, pp.179-198 & in A. Oakley & J. Mitchell (eds), Who's Afraid of Feminism, Hamish Hamilton, 1997, pp. 77-98.)
- "Women & National Reproduction" in Women's Studies International Forum, vol. 19, nos. 1-2, 1996, special issue Links Across Differences: Gender, Ethnicity and Nationalism, ed. by Barbara Einhorn, pp. 17-24.
- "Women, Citizenship and Difference" in the special issue of Feminist Review on Women and Citizenship: Pushing the Boundaries, no. 57, Autumn 1997, pp. 4-27 [also appeared in Spanish in E. Hola & M. Potugal (eds), La Ciudadania a Debate, a special issue of ISIS, Ediciones de las Mujeres, no.25, December 1997, pp. 35-54
- "[Racial] Equality and the Politics of Difference" in the special issues of New Formations on Frontlines Backyards, no. 33, Spring 1998, pp. 136-141
- "The Multi-Layered Citizen at the Age of 'Glocalization'", International Feminist Journal of Politics, no. 1, Summer 1999, pp. 119-137
- "National Spaces and Collective Identities: Borders, Boundaries, Citizenship and Gender Relations" in Selvy Thiruchandran (ed) Nivedini: A Journal on Gender Studies 7(1), Women's Education and Research Centre, Colombo, Sri Lanka:1-34., 1999
- "Institutional Racism, Cultural Diversity And Citizenship: Some Reflections On Reading The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry Report" Sociological Review Online, May 1999
- "Memorializing the Holocaust in Britain" (with M. Silverman), Ethnicities, vol.2, no.1 March 2002, pp.107-123
- "Imagined Border and Boundaries: A Gendered Gaze" (with M. Stoetzler), European Journal of Women's Studies, August 2002
- "Standpoint Theory, Situated Knowledge & the Situated Imagination" (with M. Stoetzler), Dec 2002, Feminist Theory, vol.3. no.3. pp.315-334
- "Nationalist Projects and Gender Relations" in Croatian Journal of Ethnology and Folklore Research 40/1, April 2003, pp.9-36
- "Asylum & Human Security", Mediactive, 2005, no. 4, pp.38-55
- "Secure Borders - White Haven: The White paper and the gendered politic s of migration and belonging" (with Floya Anthias and Eleonore Kofman), Ethnic and Racial Studies, 2005
- "Intersectionality and gender mainstreaming", Swedish Journal of Gender Studies (in Swedish) Kvinno-vetenskaplig tidskrift 2-3.05 pp.19-30, 2005
- "Intersectionality and feminist politics’, European Journal of Women Studies, vol. 13(3):193-210, 2006
- "Racism, cosmopolitanism and contemporary politics of belonging", Soundings, 2005
- "Belonging and the politics of belonging" in Patterns of Prejudice, 40(3):196-213, 2006
- "Intersectionality and feminist politics", European Journal of Women’s Studies, 13(3):193-209, 2006
- "Care, globalization and belonging", Danish Journal of Women’s Studies, 2006 (in Danish)
- "Participatory theatre as a research methodology" (with Erene Kaptani), Sociological Research On Line, vol. 13, no. 5, 2008
- "'Doing' Embodied research: participatory theatre as a sociological research tool", in Qualitative Researcher (with E. Kaptani), (online), no.9, September 2008
- "Intersectionality, citizenship and contemporary politics of belonging", CRISPP (Contemporary Review of International Social and Political Philosophy, special issue on Contesting Citizenship, 2009
- "Women, Globalisation and Social Change", Asia Insight, No. 2, 2009
- "Cosmopolitan Politics of Belonging" ("Politik der Zugehörigkeit"), in Das Argument 282 (4/2009) Ringen um Weltbürgerrechte, no. 282: 595-605, translated by Armin Kuhn and Daniel Fastner (in German)
- "Women, Globalization and Contemporary Politics of Belonging", Gender, Technology and Development, 2009, (also published in Chinese in the Journal of Thinking (Sixiang Zhanxian), vol.5
- "Theorizing Identity: beyond the 'self' and 'other' dichotomy", Patterns of Prejudice, July 2010 'My travels/troubles with religion - some autobiographical reflections', Feminist Review no. 97:130-141, 2011
- "Dialogical epistemology - an intersectional resistance to the 'Oppression Olympics'", Contribution to the Patricia Hills Collins & Black Feminist Thought symposium of Gender and Society, February 2012
- ‘The autochthonic scent of memory’, contribution to the special issue on Avtar Brah’s ‘Scent of Memory’ issue of Feminist Review, April 2012
- 'Dual Book Review on Belonging' (by Montserrat Guibernau) and The Politics of Belonging (by me), Sociology, vol. 48(3):622-630, 2014
- 'Situated Intersectionality and Social Inequality' in Raisons Politiques no. 58:91-100, 2015
- 'Politiken um Klasse, Identitat und Intersekionalitat. Sozialistisch-feministische Streitfragen', in Wege des Marxismus-Feminismus, Das Argument no. 314:583-590, 2016
- 'Inclusive nationalism' in Antonsich, M., Mavroudi, L. & Mihelj, S. collection of essays 'Building inclusive nations in the age of migration' in Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power, 2016
- 'Press discourses on Roma in the UK, Finland and Hungary', with Viktor Varjú, Miika Tervonen, Jamie Hakim and Mastoureh Fathi, Ethnic and Racial Studies, 2017
- 'Introduction to the special issue: racialized bordering discourses on European Roma', with Georgie Wemyss and Kathryn Cassidy, Ethnic and Racial Studies. Volume 40, 2017 - Issue 7:Pages 1-11 |
- 'Everyday Bordering, Belonging and the Re-Orientation of British Immigration Legislation', with G. Wemyss & K. Cassidy, Sociology. Accepted February 2017
- Cassidy, K. Yuval-Davis, N. & Wemyss, G. Debordering and Everyday (Re) bordering in and of Dover: Post-Borderland Borderscapes. Political Geography Special Issue: Intersectional Approaches to Everyday Borderings. Accepted April 2017
- 'Beauty and the Beast': Everyday Bordering and Sham Marriage Discourse. Political Geography, with G. Wemyss and K. Cassidy, Special Issue: Intersectional Approaches to Everyday Borderings. Accepted May 2017
Edited books and special issues of journals
- Israel and The Palestinians, edited with U. Davis and A. Mack, Ithaca Press, London 1975.
- Power and The State, edited with G. Littlejohn, B. Smart, and J. Wakeford, Croom Helm, London, 1978.
- Woman Nation State, edited with F. Anthias, Macmillan, 1989.
- The Gulf War and The New World Order, edited with H. Bresheeth, Zed Books, 1991
- Gender, Race and Difference, a special issue of International Review of Sociology, edited with S. Allen and F. Anthias, Autumn 1991
- Refusing Holy Orders: Women and Fundamentalism in Britain, edited with G. Sahgal, Virago Press, 1992
- Women and Citizenship in Europe: Borders, Rights and Duties, edited with A. Ward & J. Gregory, Trentham Books and EFSF, 1992
- Unsettling Settler Societies: Articulations of Gender, Ethnicity, Race and Class, edited with D. Stasiulis, Sage, 1995
- Crossfires: Nationalism, Racism and Gender in Europe, edited with H. Lutz & A. Phoenix, Pluto Press, 1995
- Women & Citizenship: Pushing the Boundaries, a special issue of Feminist Review, 1997 [as a guest editor with the Feminist Review editorial board]
- Women, Citizenship and Difference, edited with P. Werbner, Z Books, 1999
- Warning Signs of Fundamentalisms edited with A. Imam, WLUML, 2004
- Boundaries, Identities and Borders, special issue of the journal Patterns of Prejudice, vol. 40(3), July 2006, edited with K. Kannabiran & U. Vieten
- Situating the Politics of Belonging, edited with K. Kannabiran & U. Vieten, London: Sage, 2006
- Framing gendered identities: local conflicts/global violence, a special issue of the journal International Forum of Women's Studies, vol.29, no.5, 2006, edited with Suruchi Thapar & Karen Morgan
- Racism, Migration and the Politics of Belonging, edited with P. Marfleet, Runnymede Publications, 2012
- Political Sociologist, Activist and Public Intellectual, edited with N. Ehrlich and L. Marks, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2013
- Women Against Fundamentalism: Stories of Dissent and Solidarity, ed. With S. Dhaliwal, London: Lawrence and Wishart, 2014
- Anti-Jewish and Anti-Muslim Racisms and the Question of Palestine/Israel online paper series, edited by Nira Yuval-Davis and Jamie Hakim, CMRB, UEL
- Racialized Bordering Discourses on European Roma, special issue of Ethnic and Racial Studies, edited with G. Wemyss and K. Cassidy, 2016,
- Situated Intersectional Approaches to Everyday Bordering in Contemporary Europe, special issue of litical Geography, edited with G. Wemyss and K. Cassidy 2017
Chapters in books
- "Introduction" with U. Davis & A. Mack (pp.1-22) and "Possibilities for a joint Palestinian-Arab and Israeli-Jewish struggle" (pp.330-335) in U. Davis, A. Mack & N. Yuval-Davis, Israel and the Palestinians, Ithaca Press, London, 1975
- "Sexual Division of Labour" (pp.31-35) and "The Israeli Example" (pp.73-78) in W. Chapkis, ed. Loaded Questions: Women in The Military, The transnational Institute, Amsterdam, 1981, pp.
- "Contextualizing Feminism: Gender, Ethnic & Class divisions", in T. Lovell, ed. British Feminist Thought, edited by T. Lovell, Basil Blackwell, 1990, pp.103-118 also in - L. McDowell & R. Pringle (eds.), Defining Women, Polity Press & the Open University, 1992, pp.107-118.
- "Front and Rear: the Sexual Division of Labour in the Israeli Army", in H. Afshar, ed. Women, State and Ideology, Macmillan, 1986, pp. 185-203
- "Introduction" (with F. Anthias) in N. Yuval-Davis & F. Anthias (eds.), Woman - Nation - State, Macmillan, 1989, pp. 1-15 (also included as 'Woman and Nation' in the Reader Nationalism, ed. by John Hutchinson & Anthony D. Smith, Oxford University Press in Autumn 1994, and in German as 'Frauen - Nation - Staat' in a special issue of that name of the journal Frauen In Der Einene Welt, vo.5, no.2, pp.10-26)
- "National Reproduction and 'the Demographic Race' in Israel", in N. Yuval-Davis & F. Anthias (eds.), Woman - Nation - State, Macmillan, 1989, pp.92-109.
- "Anglomorphism and the Construction of Ethnic and Racial Divisions in Australia and Britain", in R. Niles, ed., Immigration and the Politics of Ethnicity and Race in Australia and Britain, Institute of Commonwealth Studies, 1991, pp. 14-26
- "The Citizenship Debate: Women, Ethnic Processes and the State", in A. Kalpaka & N. Rathzel (eds.) Rassismus und Migration in Europa, Argument-Sonderband AS 201, 1992, pp.216 -228 (German).
- "Women as Citizens", in A. Ward, J. Gregory & N. Yuval-Davis (eds.), Women and Citizenship in Europe: Borders, Rights & Duties. Trentham Books & EFSF, 1992, pp.11-18.
- "Introduction" (with H. Bresheeth) in H. Bresheeth & N. Yuval-Davis, (eds.), The Gulf War & the New World Order, Zed Books, 1991, pp. 1-10.
- "The Gendered Gulf War: Women's Citizenship and Modern Warfare", in H. Bresheeth & N. Yuval-Davis, (eds.), The Gulf War and The New World Order, Zed Books, 1991, pp. 219-225.
- "Fundamentalism, Multiculturalism and Women", in J. Donald and A. Rattanzi, 'Race', Culture and Difference, Sage & the Open University 1992, pp. pp.278-292.
- "Introduction" (with G. Sahgal), in G. Sahgal & N. Yuval-Davis (eds.), Refusing Holy Orders, Virago Press, 1992, pp. 1-25.
- "Women's Empowerment and Jewish Fundamentalism", in G. Sahgal & N. Yuval-Davis (eds.), Refusing Holy Orders: Women and Fundamentalism in Britain, Virago Press, 1992, pp.198-226. [also published in the Oxford Reader on Feminism and Racism, ed. by Kum-Kum Bhavnani, Oxford University Press]
- "Women in the Israeli Military" in A.J. Stone for WREI, Women in the Military - International Perspectives, Women's Research and Education Institute, Washington DC, 1992, pp. 66.- 76.
- "Women and Coalition Politics" in M. Kennedy, C. Lubelska & V. Walsh, Making Connections: Women's Studies, Women's Movements, Women's Lives, Taylor & Francis, London 1993, pp.3-10
- "Identity, Identity Politics and Women", in V.M. Moghadam, Identity Politics and Women: Cultural Reassertion and Feminism in International Perspective, 1994, pp. 408-425.
- "Les femmes et le nationalisme" in Les Cahiers du Grif, Les Femmes et la Construction Europeenne, Grace, Brussles, 1994, pp. 89-96
- "Women and the Nation State" in J. Hutchinson & A.D. Smith Nationalism, Oxford University Press, 1994, pp. 312-316.
- "Beyond Dichotomies: An Introduction", with D. Stasiulis, in D. Stasiulis & N. Yuval-Davis, (eds.) Unsettling Settler Societies: Articulations of Gender, Race, Ethnicity & Class, Sage 1995, pp. 1-38
- "Palestine, Israel & the Zionist Settler Project" (with N. Abdo), in D. Stasiulis & N. Yuval-Davis, (eds.) Unsettling Settler Societies: Articulations of Gender, Race, Ethnicity & Class, Sage 1995, pp. 291-322
- "Introduction" with H. Lutz & A. Phoenix in H. Lutz, A. Phoenix & N. Yuval-Davis (eds.), Crossfires: Nationalism, Racism and Gender in Europe, Pluto Press, 1995, pp. 1-25
- "Women and Transversal Politics" in Brigitte Fuchs & Gabrielle Habinger (eds.) Rassismen und Feminismen: Differenzen, Machtverhaltnisse und Solidaritat zwichen Frauen, Promedia, Berlin, 1996 (in German).
- "Ethnicity, Gender Relations and Multi-Culturalism" in P. Werbner & T. Modood, Debating Cultural Hybridity: Multi-cultural Identities and the Politics of Anti-Racism, Zed Books, 1996
- "Women, Ethnicity and Empowerment" in A. Oakley & J. Mitchell (eds.), Who's Afraid of Feminism, Penguin, 1996
- "Beyond Differences: Women, Empowerment and Coalition Politics" in N. Charles & H. Hintjens (eds) Women's Places: Gender Identities and Political Ideologies, Routledge, 1996
- "Matzpen - the Israeli Socialist Organization" in Tamar Herman (ed.) Social Movements in Israel, Open University Press, Israel (Hebrew), 1997,pp. 335-385.
- "Gender and Nation" in R. Wilford & R.L. Miller (eds.) Women, Ethnicity and Nationalism: The Politics of Transition, Routledge, 1998, pp. 23-35 (published also in Space, Gender, Knowledge, ed. by Linda McDowel & Joanne Sharp, Arnold, September 1997)
- "Gendered Militaries, Gendered Wars" in R. Seifert & C. Eifler (eds.) Gender & the Military (German), Kore, Frieburg, 1997.
- "Nationalism, Multiculturalism and Women" in Marco Martiniello (ed.) Reflections on Two European Multicultural Societies: Belgium & the United Kingdom, ERCOMER, Utrecht, 1998
- "Beyond Differences: women, empowerment and coalition politics" in N. Charles & H. Hintjens (eds), Gender, Ethnicity and Political Ideologies, Routledge, London, 1998
- "Introduction: the New Discourses on Citizenship" with P. Werbner in Women, Citizenship and Difference, Z Books, 1999
- "Jews, Arabs and the Theorization of Racism in Britain & France", (with M.Silverman) in A. Brah, M. Hickman & M. Mac (eds), Thinking Identities: Ethnicity, Racism and Culture, Macmillan, 1999.
- "The Personal Is Political: Jewish Fundamentalism and Women’s Empowerment" in Courtney W. Howland (eds) Religious Fundamentalisms and the Human Rights of Women, St Martins Press, New York,1999
- 'The spaced-out citizen: Collectivity, Territoriality and the Gendered Construction of Difference', in E. Inis, (ed.), Rights to the City: Citizenship, Democracy and Cities in a Global Age, Routledge, 1999 [also reprinted in N. Brenner, B. Jessop & al (eds), State/Space: A Reader, Blackwell Publishing, 2003]
- "Zenske in bioloska reprodukcija nacije" in Mirjana Nastran Ule (eds.) Predsodki In Diskriminacije, Znanstveno in publicisticno sredisce Ljubljana, 1999, pp.217-232
- "Nationalism, Feminism & Gender Relations", in J. Hutchinson & M. Guibernau (eds.), Understanding Nationalism, Polity Press, 2001, pp.120-141
- "Citizenship and Anti-Racism" in F. Anthias & C. Lloyd, Rethinking Anti-racism, Routledge 2001
- "The Narration of Difference: Cultural Stuff, Ethnic Projects and Identities" in M. Kohli & A. Woodward (eds.), Studies in European Societies, Routledge 2001, pp.59-70
- "The Contaminated Paradise" in N. Abdo & R. Lentin (eds), Women & the Politics of Military Confrontation: Palestinian and Israeli Gendered Narratives of Dislocation, Oxford: Berghahn Press, 2002, pp.251-261
- "Conclusion" in Ephraim Nimni (ed.), The Challenge of Post-Zionism, London: Zed Books, 2002, pp.182-196
- "Belonging: from the Indigene to the Diasporic", in Umut Ozkirimli (ed.), Nationalism and its futures, Basingstoke: Macmillan, 2003, pp. 127-144
- "Gender, the nationalist imagination, war and peace" in W. Giles & J. Hyndman (eds), "Sites of Violence: Gender and Conflict Zones", Berkley: The University of California Press, 2004
- "Borders, boundaries and the politics of belonging" in S. May, T. Modood & J. Squires (eds.), Ethnicity, Nationalism and Minority Rights, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004, pp. 214-230
- "Introduction" (with A. Imam), in A. Imam & N. Yuval-Davis (eds), Warning Signs of Fundamentalisms, London: WLUML, 2004
- "Jewish Fundamentalisms and Women", in A. Imam & N. Yuval-Davis (eds), Warning Signs of Fundamentalisms, London: WLUML, 2004
- "Human/Women's rights and feminist transversal politics", in Myra Marx Ferree and Aili Mari Tripp (eds.), Transnational Feminisms: Women's Global Activism and Human Rights, New York:, New York University Press, 2006
- "Introduction: Situating the politics of belonging" (with K.Kannabiran & U. Vieten) in N.Yuval-Davis, K. Kannabiran & U. Vieten (eds), Situating the Politics of Belonging, London: Sage, 2006
- "Intersectionality, citizenship and contemporary politics of belonging" (2007), in J. Bennett(ed.), Scratching the Surface: Democracy, Traditions, Gender, Lahore, Pakistan: Heinrich Boll Foundation, pp.7-22
- "Gender, globalisation and the ethics of care", Epilogue in Gender Identity in a Globalized Society, Madrid: Social Trends Institute, 2008
- "Identity, citizenship and contemporary secure, gendered politics of belonging", A. Denis & D. Kalekin-Fishman (eds), The ISA Handbook in Contemporary Sociology, London: Sage
- "Nationalism, Multiculturalism, Identity and Belonging" In Anders Neergaard (Ed.), European perspectives on exclusion and subordination: A Political economy of migration, pp.329-343. Maastricht: Shaker, 2009
- "Identity, performance & social action: participatory theatre among refugees" (with E. Kaptani) in M. Wetherell (ed.), Identity and Social Action, London: Palgrave, 2009
- "Nationalism, Belonging, Globalization and the 'Ethics of Care'", in Martyn Barrett, Chris Flood and John Eade (eds.), Nationalism, Ethnicity, Citizenship: Multidisciplinary Perspectives, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars, 2011, pp.35-48
- "Belonging and the Politics of Belonging", in Janice McLaughlin, Peter Phillimore and Diane Richardson (eds.), Contesting Recognition: Culture, Identity and Citizenship, London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp.20-35
- 'Beyond the recognition and re-distribution dichotomy: intersectionality and stratification' in H. Lutz, M.T. Herrera Viva & L. Spuil (eds): Framing Intersectionality: Debates on a Multi-Faceted Concept in Gender Studies, Ashgate, 2011, pp.155-170 (also published in German)
- "Religion and gender in contemporary political projects of belonging", in N. Reilly & S. Scriver (edsw.), Religion, Gender and the Public sphere, NY & London: Routledge, 2014:31-44
- "Avishai Ehrlich - some formative memories", in N. Ehrlich, L. Marks & N. Yuval-Davis (eds), The Work of Avishai Ehrlich, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2013: 171-176
- 'The caring question: the emotional and the political', in Dominanz-Kultur Reloaded, a memorial book to Birgit Rommelspacher, ed. By I. Attia, S. Kobsell and N. Prasad, Bielefeld: Transcript, 2015:199-215 (in German)
- 'Power, intersectionality and the politics of belonging' and 'A dialogical conversation: a response to the responses' in The Palgrave Handbook of Gender and Development, ed. By Wendy Harcourt, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016:367-381 & 434-440
- Forthcoming: "Shooting & crying: Zionism, anti-Semitism and the Israeli existential anxiety", in Keren Or Schlesinger, Gadi Algazi, Hana Herzog and Yaron Haezrakhi (eds), a memorial volume for Barukh Kimmerling, Jerusalem, Magnes (in Hebrew)
- "Recognition, intersectionality and transversal politics" in P. Rayman and Y. Meital (eds.), Transformative Recognition: Israel/Palestine and Beyond, Boston: Brill Press, 2016
Other relevant publications
- Some Problems in Educating a National Minority, in collaboration with Y. Peres, a research report (project NE 6 21 013) for the division of Higher Education Research, US Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
- The New Jewish Movement: Jewish Nationalism and Radical Politics in The USA 1967 1973, Ph.D. Thesis, Sussex University, 1979.
- "Zionism, Antisemitism and the Struggle against Racism", Spare Rib, September, 1984, pp. 9-14.
- "Comments on Zionism and Contemporary Jewish Identity", Return, 1988, pp.20-22.
- "The Intifada and the Birth of the Palestinian Nation", Interlink, Autumn, 1988, pp. 10-11.
- "Refusing Holy Orders", with G. Sahgal, Marxism Today, March, 1990, pp.30-35
- Secularism, Judaism and the Zionist dilemma", Women Against Fundamentalism Journal, no.3, 1992 pp. 4-6.
- "Nationalism, Racism & Gender Relations", ISS Working Papers, no.130, July 1992.
- "Women, Ethnicity & Empowerment", ISS Working Papers, no. 151, June, 1993.
- "The uses of fundamentalism", with G. Sahgal, in Women Against Fundamentalism Journal, no. 5 (1994) pp.7-10
- "Nationalism & Racism", Multiculturalism & the State, vol.1, Collected Seminar Papers no. 47, Institute of Commonwealth Studies, University of London, 1994
- "Women and Transversal Politics" in Women Against Fundamentalism Journal, no. 6 (1995)
- National Spaces and Collective Identities: Borders, Boundaries, Citizenship and Gender Relations, Inaugural Lecture Series, the University of Greenwich, 22 May, 1997
- 'Diversity, positioning and citizenship' in the conference report ed. by Sue Wright on Cultural Diversity and Citizenship, UNESCO & The University of Birmingham, April 1998:22-29
- "Who’s afraid of feminist anti-fundamentalism?", New Ethnicities Bulletin, October, (1998)
- "bell hooks and Nira Yuval-Davis on Race, Ethnicity, Class and Gender" [interview by Marianne Grunell and Sawitri Saharso], The European Journal of Women’s Studies, vol.6, no.2 , May 1999:203-218
- "What is Transversal Politics", Soundings, June 1999
- "Latin American Feminism in the 90s - A Conversation with Gina Vargas in October 1998" in International Feminist Journal of Politics 1:2 (1999), 299-322
- "Symbol and Citizen: Women's Participation in Militaries and Wars", in Gender Perspectives on Peace and Conflict Studies, Karame, K & Tryggestad, T.(eds), 2000, Norwegian Institute of Public Affairs, 57-78
- "Gender Relations and The Nation" in Encyclopedia of Nationalism, Motyl, A. (ed), Academic Press, 2000, 297-314
- "Citizenship" & "Nationalism & Nations" - entries in the Routledge Encyclopaedia of Women, C. Kramarie & D. Spender (eds.), Routledge, 2001
- "Contemporary Agenda for the Study of Ethnicity" in Ethnicities, vol.1 no.1 April 2001 pp.11-13
- A response to the Home Office White Paper 'Secure Borders - Safe Haven' (with F. Anthias and E. Kofman)
- 'Boundaries, Borders: the Gendered Gaze', in the conference papers 'Women and borders', Centre for Borders Studies, University of Johaansen, Finland, 2002
- "Visit to North Tel-Aviv" Israel, January 2002, in Soundings, 20 Summer 2002, pp.21-30
- "Neo-Liberalism, Militarism and Xenophobia: Some Implications for the Gendered Politics of Belonging" in WIDE Bulleting: People Moving to the Right: Where Lie the Alternatives for Transnational Feminism? January 2003
- Threatened Existence: A Feminist Analysis of the Genocide in Gujarat (with other members of the International Initiative for Justice in Gujarat team). December 2003
- "Preface" to the book by Tijen Uguris, Space, Power and Participation, Aldershot: Ashgate, 2004
- "Belonging is multi-layered" in Connections, Quarterly from the Commission for Racial Equality, Winter 2004/5
- "Racism, cosmopolitanism and contemporary politics of belonging", Soundings, no 30, summer 2005 pp.166-178
- "Zionism, anti-Semitism and the struggle against racism", Soundings, 2007, no. 36:122-133
- "Women, nation, state" (with F. Anthias, Trans. Agata Czarnacka) Feminist Think Tank Online Library.
- http://www.ekologiasztuka.pl/pdf/f0076anthias_davis.pdf (translation to Polish), 2009
- 'Interview with Professor Nira Yuval-Davis: After gender and Nation", in Studies of Ethnicity and Nationalism, vol.9,1:128-138, May 2009
- "Conversation with founding scholars of intersectionality: Michelle Fine, Kimberle Crenshaw, Nira Yuval-Davis" in Michele Trace Berger & Kathleen Guidroz, (eds.), The Intersectional Approach: Transforming the Academy through Race, Class and Gender, University of North Carolina Press, 2009
- "The double crisis of governability and governmentality", Soundings, Autumn 2012
- "Everyday situated intersectional bordering", Working Paper no. 2 of the EU Borderscapes Project, 2013
- "Symptoms of crisis? Religion and women’s rights in Israel", Open Democracy”, 10 September 2012
- Situated intersectional everyday approach to the study of Bordering”, Borderscapes, working paper no. 2, August 2013 http://www.euborderscapes.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/Working_Papers/EUBORDERSCAPES_Working_Paper_2_Yuval-Davis.pdf
- "Antisemitism, Islamophobia or racism? Anti-Jewish and anti-Muslim racisms and the question of Palestine-Israel", Open Democracy, 24 December 2013
- "Two Roads to Public Sociology", Global Dialogue”, 2015, vol. 5(1), https://globaldialogue.isa-sociology.org/two-roads-to-public-sociology/
- "Anti-Jewish and anti-Muslim racisms and the question of Palestine/|Israel", with J. Hakim, Open Democracy, 28 September, 2015
- "Feminism and the S-word", Jo Little in discussion with Mandy Merck, Hilary Wainright, Nira Yuval-Davis and Deborah Grayson, Soundings, no.61:95-112, 2015
- "Borders studies: relevant for international relations and 'border-guard' university staff", by M. Reisz, based on interviews with David Newman and Nira Yuval-Davis, Times Higher Education, December 10, 2015
- "Want to know how to kill multi-cultural society? Turn its ordinary citizens into border-guards",www.independent.co.uk/voices/want-to-know-how-to-kill-a-multicultural-society-turn-its-ordinary-citizens-into-border-guards-a6774151.html
- "Challenging the racialized 'common sense' of everyday bordering", with G. Wemyss and K. Cassidy, Open Democracy, 17 February 2016
- "Those who belong and those who don't - Physical and mental borders in Europe", European Greens Journal, March 2016
- "Situated Knowledge", with M. Stoetzler, Ritzer Encyclopedia at Wiley Blackwell, 2017
Conference papers, Keynote Presentations and public lectures since joining UEL, September 2003:
- 'Identity, Citizenship and contemporary gendered Politics of Belonging' Public Lecture at the University of Toronto, 5 February 2003
- 'Women, Human Security and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', public lecture at the Graduate Studies Centre, City University of New York, 13 February 2003
- 'Borders, Boundaries and the Gendered Politics of Belonging', Public Lecture at the Women’s Studies Department, Rutgers University, 17 February 2003
- 'Borders, Boundaries and the Gendered Politics of Belonging', Public Lecture at the Haven Centre for Critical Theory, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 20 February 2003
- 'Gender and nationalisms', seminar at the Centre for the Study of Nationalism, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 22 February 2003
- 'Women, Citizenship and contemporary Politics of Belonging', a plenary presentation at the conference on Gender, Citizenship and Civil Society, a day conference at the Women and Gender Relations Institute, University of Warwick, 3 March 2003'
- 'Intersectionality - reinventing the wheel?' a paper presented at the ESRC seminar series on Gender, Globalisation and Governance, University of Warwick, 24 March 2003
- 'Multiculturalism, Diversity and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', Public lecture at the University of Munster, April 15 2003
- 'Standpoint Theory, Situated Knowledge and the Situated Imagination', Public Lecture, University of Hanover, April 18 2003
- 'Human Security, Human Rights and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', public lecture at the Faculty of Social Sciences, The University of Ruhr, Bochum, 30 April 2003 [also recorded for their distance learning course in Women's Studies]
- 'Nationalism, Racism and Gender Relations', Introductory lecture at the Workshop on Gender, Transnational Migration and the Politics of Belonging, University of Ruhr, Bochum, May 16 2003
- 'Borders, Boundaries and the Situated Imagination' Public Lecture at the University of Oldenburg, 20 May 2003 [also recorded for the distance learning course in Women's Studies of the University of Ruhr, Bochum]
- 'Power and Responsibility - a Jewish Feminist Perspective', Keynote lecture at the European conference of Jewish Feminists, Beit Deborah, Berlin, 22 May 2003
- 'Women and International Migration' Day workshop for the Women’s Studies Summer School at the University of Basel, 5 September 2003
- 'Women, Human Rights and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', Keynote presentation at the ESRC Day Conference on Women and Global Violence, University of Bristol, 5 October 2003
- 'Globalization, Cyberpower and the New Governance of War', panel presentation at the conference Smart Bombs Dumb Wars, 8 November 2003, UEL/Inst of Education
- 'Gender and Diversity', a European workshop at the University of Utrecht, 14 - 16 November 2003
- 'Human Security and Contemporary Politics of Belonging' - public lecture as well as position paper on the 'Quality of contemporary social life' theme for the ISA 2006 conference, University of Freiburg 28 November - 1 December 2003
- 'Human security, women’s rights and feminist Activism', Rockfeller Seminar on Human Security, Gender and Globalisation, City University of New York, 18 February, 2004
- 'Gender, sexualities and the BJP nationalist project at the Gujarat riots' panel on the gendered effects of the Gujarat riots' at the NGO Forum of the UN Status of Women annual conference, New York, 6 March 2004
- 'Intersectionality', keynote presentation at the European network conference on Intersectionality, Copenhagen, 24 March 2004
- 'Gender and violence' panel presentation at the conference on The future of Women at the 21st Century, Kennedy School, Harvard, 5 May 2004
- 'Human rights, human security and contemporary gendered politics of belonging' Keynote lecture at the Research Council conference of the International Sociological Association. Ottawa University, 27 May 2004
- 'Women, citizenship and contemporary politics of belonging', panel presentation at the annual conference of the National Association of Research on Women, Washington DC, 6-7 June 2004
- A '3 lecture series at the Department of Sociology, University of Bristol on 'Contemporary Politics of Belonging'' (15,22,29 June 2004): a) on British borders and boundaries; b) in relation to human rights; c) in relation to asylum and human security
- 'Tongue-tied: Women and Censorship', debate of the month panel at the Nehru Centre, London, 27 July 2004.
- 'Racisms, Sexisms and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', opening address at the Interim conference of the RC05 & RC32 of the International Sociological Association, London 25-27 August 2004
- 'Human Rights and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', Keynote address at the launch event of the AHRB Research Centre on Law, Gender and Sexuality, University of Kent, 24 September 2004
- 'British politics of belonging and 'the death of multiculturalism', paper presented at the conference Women and Gender in Contemporary Europe, Rutgers University, 1-2 October 2004
- 'Identity, Citizenship and Contemporary Secure Gendered Politics of Belonging', keynote presentation at the SARE Congress on Citizenship, Bilbao, 11 November 2004
- 'Intersectionality and gender mainstreaming' Keynote lecture at the Intersectionality conference of the Swedish Gender Studies Organization, Norrkoping, 4 February 2005
- 'Racism and Cosmopolitanism', public lecture organized by the Agora Thinktank, Stockholm, 5 February 2005
- 'A more inclusive citizenship: the road a head', a panel discussion organized by the ESRC Identities Programme and the Hansard Society, 23 June 2005
- 'Gender and Nation', a public lecture to mark the publication of the Hungarian translation of Gender and Nation, Department of Gender Studies, Central European University, Budapest, 26 October 2005
- 'Women, citizenship and belonging' a keynote address at the conference on 'Traditional societies and democracy', organized by the Heinrich Boll Foundation in Lahore, Pakistan, 12 December 2005
- 'After 7/7' a panel discussion organized by the BSA Race Forum at the launch of the Xenox Research Centre at Goldsmiths' College, London, 15 February 2006
- 'Integration and belonging of migrant women in Europe', a keynote address at the Institute of Gender and Migration, Intercollege University of Nicosia, 4 April 2006
- 'Religious identities, fundamentalisms and belonging', a keynote address to the in-training seminar of Joseph Roundtree Foundation staff members and trustees, York, 14 April 2006
- 'Citizenship, governability, diversity and social exclusion', an opening address of the semi-plenary 4 days symposium on the subject at the ISA congress, Durban, 24 July 2006
- 'Intersectional feminisms', an 'international celebrity lecture' at the seminar on Recent Feminist Theory at the NOVA/ISF Institute at the University of Oslo, 5 October 2006
- 'Gender, fundamentalisms and secularisms', Keynote lecture at the international conference on Gender and Religion in Global Perspectives' at the University of Copenhagen, 28 October 2006
- 'Intersected Belonging/s', public seminar at CEDREF, University of Paris, 8 December 2006
- 'Identity, Identity politics and the constructionism debate', BSA Annual Conference, UEL, April 2007
- 'Citizenship and the Politics of Belonging' public lecture, the University of Roskilde, Denmark, 19 April, 2007
- 'Intersectionality and Mainstreaming' a public lecture, University of Aalborg, Denmark, 24 April, 2007
- 'Globalisation, belonging and the ethics of care' departmental seminar, University of Aalborg, Denmark, 26 April, 2007
- 'Ethnicity, gender and everyday life', an opening lecture of the Summer School Russia in Europe, a cross-border graduate school, Mekrijärvi Research Station, Ilomantsi, Finland, 14 June 2007
- 'Nationalism, belonging, globalization and the ethics of care', opening keynote presentation at the conference Nationalism and national identities: multidisciplinary perspectives, University of Surrey, 12-13 June 2007
- 'Boundaries, borders and the politics of belonging', a public lecture at the Kunsthaus Museum, Graz, Austria at the opening of their exhibition 'Volkgarten: the politics of belonging', 3 October 2007.
- 'The political culture of existential anxiety', plenary lecture at the Barukh Kimmerling Memorial Conference, Van Lir Institute, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 10 December 2007.
- 'Women, globalisation and social change', keynote presentation at the Sino-Nordic Women's Studies Conference, Kunming, China, 8 November 2008
- 'Intersectionality and stratification', keynote presentation at the conference 'Celebrating Intersectionality?', University of Frankfurt, 22 January 2009
- 'Participatory theatre as a feminist research methodology' keynote presentation at the international conference on Feminist Research Methods, University of Stockholm, 2 February 2009
- 'Identity performance and social action: participatory theatre among refugees', Centre for Refugee Studies, Oxford University, 18 February 2009
- 'Intersectionality and Belonging' seminar at the Monk Centre for Political Theory, University of Toronto, 27 February 2009
- 'Identity performance and social action: participatory theatre among refugees', public lecture at the University of Toronto, 27 February 2009
- 'The intersection of gender, ethnicity and nationalism in Israel', Centre for Israeli Studies, Brandeis University, Mass., USA, 3 March 2009
- 'Intersectionality and Belonging', public lecture at the Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Vienna, 24 March 2009
- 'Israel, the Palestinians and the film 'Encounterpoints'', public lecture at Circomedia, Bristol, 29 April 2009
- 'Cosmopolitanism and contemporary politics of belonging', Centre for Cosmopolitanism Studies, Manchester University, 5 May 2009
- 'Women, Migration and Contemporary politics of belonging in Europe', opening address at the annual day 'Women for Europe (Donne per l'Europa)' at the Centre for Women's Studies at the University of Turin, Italy, 27 May 2009
- 'Women and Contemporary Politic of Belonging' Keynote presentation at the Gender Happening festival in Berlin, organized by the Gunda-Werner-Institut für Feminismus und Geschlechterdemokratie in der Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, 18 June 2009
- 'Identities as Narratives' at the Vilnius Summer School for the Nordic and East European Studies, 6 July 2009
- 'Identity, Belonging and the question of Care', plenary presentation at the conference Gendering East West, University of York, 12 July 2009
- 'Diasporic spaces and differential racisms: Appreciating Avtar Brah as a colleague and friend since 1974', Avtar Brah’s Retirement Colloquium, Birkbeck College, 15 July 2009
- 'Intersectionality and Contemporary Politics of Belonging', Presidential Panel speaker at the American Sociological Association, San Francisco, 4 August 2009
- 'Women, migration and contemporary politics of belonging', opening seminar in the series on Women, Migration and Citizenship, COMPAS, University of Oxford, 15 October 2009
- 'Intersectionality and belonging', seminar at the Centre for Gender Studies, Umea University, Sweden, 4 November 2009
- 'Multiculturalism and contemporary politics of belonging' An LSE conference on Multiculturalism in the UK and Korea, organized by the ESRC and the Korean research Council, 23 - 24 February 2010
- 'Theorizing identity - beyond the self/other dichotomy', a conference on Identities and Intersectionalities, Roehampton Institute, 10 March 2010
- 'Intersectionality in Transversal Politics', public lecture at the University of Galway, Ireland, 12 March 2010
- 'Belonging and contemporary Politics of Belonging', seminar at the University of Norrkoping, Sweden, 6 April 2010
- 'Politics of belonging at the age of globalization', University of Umea, Sweden, 16 April 2010
- 'Transversal dialogues and contemporary politics of belonging' public lecture and workshops at the University of Lund, Sweden, 23 April 2010
- 'Citizenship and Belonging', Department of Politica Science, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 10 August 2010
- 'Forced Migration, Racism and Autochthony', Centre for Refugee Studies, University of Oxford, 10 November 2010
- 'Globalization and the rise of autochthonic movements', SOAS, University of London, 23 November 2010
- 'Transnational Feminism, Citizenship and Difference', Inter-gender course on Transnational Feminism, 4-9 April 2011, University of Umea, Sweden
- 'Intersectionality, feminism and post-Colonialism', University of Upsala, Sweden, 17 May 2011
- 'Gendered nationalism and the Politics of Belonging', ASEN seminar, London School of Economics, 12 February 2012
- 'The Politics of Belonging and the Question of Care', University of Roskilde, Denmark, 12 March 2012
- 'Belonging and the Politics of Belonging', University of Aalborg, Denmark 14 March 2012
- 'The Double Crisis of Governability and Governmentality', Final Plenary, 'London: City of Paradox' Conference, UEL, 5 April 2012
- 'The Politics of Belonging and the Global Crisis', University of Norrkoping, Sweden, 23 May 2012
- 'Belonging and the Politics of Belonging: Intersectional Contestations', University of Lund, Sweden, 24 May 2012
- 'Belonging and the Politics of Belonging: Intersectional Contestations', Sciences Po, Paris, 15 June 2012
- 'Gender and Nation - theoretical perspectives' opening plenary at the Conference on Gender and Nationalism in Central Asia, CNRS, Paris, 18 June 2012
- 'Intersectionality and the Politics of Belonging', opening plenary at the conference on 'Intersectionality and Spaces of Belonging', University of Bangor, 28 June 2012
- 'Gender and Human Rights' plenary address at the International Sociological Association Forum, Buenos Aires, 2 August 2012
- 'Intersectionality and complexity theory' plenary address at the conference on 'Thinking Intersectionality', University of Illinois, 4 April 2013
- 'Intersectional situated everyday bordering', paper presented at the conference of the Association of Border Studies, Bergamot, 8 June 2013
- 'Major themes in contemporary racisms', plenary presentation at the BSA Race and Ethnicity conference 'Mapping the Field', Birmingham, 31 January 2014
- 'What is socialist feminism?' City University, 4 March 2014
- 'Intersectionality, inequality and bordering', plenary presentation at the International Sociological Association Congress, Yokohama, July 2014
- 'Intersectional everyday bordering', City University, 21 November 2014
- 'Theoretical and political implications of intersectional everyday bordering' in the UK', Umea University, 5 May 2015
- 'Comments on intersectional approach to Saami nationalism', The University of Lapland, 3 June 2015
- 'The double edge character of the politics of recognition', an international workshop on 'Transformatory recognition in Israel/Palestine', University of Mass., 16 June 2015
- 'Researching intersectional everyday bordering: methodological comments', Social Sciences School Launching Conference, UEL, 9 November 2015
- 'Introduction: the policy implications of everyday bordering in the UK', Borderscapes Policy Conference, UEL, 10 November 2015
- 'Gender, nationalism and violence', Annual Cultural National Conference, Sulimani, Iraqi Kurdistan, 19 November 2015
- 'Introductory welcome to the meeting in the House of Commons on 'Everyday Bordering'', 26 January 2016
- 'Research migration and bordering from a situated intersectional gaze', a conference of London Higher, Brussels, 3 February 2016
- 'Multi-Ethnic Britain and Everyday Bordering', a seminar on Everyday Bordering, LSE, 14 March 2016
- Forthcoming: Key contribution on Intersectionality, at the launch event of GRAND (Gender, Rights and Development Network) at the University of Edinburgh, 25 April 2016
- The Chrystal Macmillan Annual Lecture on 'Everyday Bordering and the re-orientation of Immigration Legislation in the UK', Edinburgh, 25 April 2016
- 'Contemporary politics of belonging and everyday bordering', a common plenary presentation at the International Sociological Association Forum, Vienna, 23 July 2020
- February - May 2004, Rockefeller Fellow at the programme on Gender, Globalization and Human Security at the Graduate School, City University of New York and the National Council for Research on Women.
- Awarded a major ESRC award (£208k) in their programme on Identities and Social Action: Identity, Performance and Social Action: The Use of Community Theatre Among Refugees (April 2005 - March 2008) £3,000 from Runnymede Trust to organise a conference on Migration, Racism and Religion (February 2010)
- EUBorderscapes (March 2013 - June 2016) (313k EUR) EU's 7th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development.
- Taught courses on both postgraduate and undergraduate levels, especially courses on gender relations, nationalism, racism, ethnic and gender divisions and qualitative research methods.
- Most recently taught courses on:
'Intersectionality and Social Exclusions'
'Politics of belonging in the 'Glocal' Age'.
- Fulfilled the role of an External Examiner, among others, of the MA in Women and Gender Studies at the University of Warwick (1994-97), the MPhil in Racism and Ethnicity in Trinity College, Dublin (1998-2000), the MA in Arts and Education at the Israeli extension of the Bretton College, University of Leeds (2001-2003); the MA in Race & Ethnic Studies at Birkbeck College, the University of London (2001-2004); the MA in Gender Studies, SOAS, the University of London (2004-2007).
- PhD supervisor and examiner at the University of Greenwich, Queen's University Belfast, University of East London, University of Exeter, University of Hamburg, University of Kent, London School of Economics, Malmo University in Denmark, Manchester University, SOAS, Nottingham Trent, the University of Melbourne, Sydney Technological University, University of Tasmania, University of Utrecht and the Eritrean National University.
- In recent years supervised nine PhD students at the University of East London, all of whom have successfully completed:
- Amira Ahmed, "Underprivileged Hierarchies" Paid household workers in the migration context: migrant women domestic workers in contemporary Egypt
- Mastoureh Fathi, Education & Social Mobility: The Subjective Experience of Iranian Women Doctors in the UK
- Henriette Gunkel, 'The cultural politics of female same-sex intimacy in post-apartheid South Africa'
- Rumana Hashem, Gender and armed conflict: the case of the Chittagong Hill Tracts
- Nicola Samson, Narratives of Women's Belonging: Life Stories from an East London Street
- Bahar Taseli, Representations of Collective 'Self and 'Other' in Turkish Cypriot Print Media Discourse
- Micaela Told, 'A Gender Perspective on Transnationalism of the Sri Lankan Diaspora Communities in Germany - Influence on the Ethnic-Nationalist Conflict and Peace-Building in Sri Lanka'
- Ulrike Vieten, Situating Cosmopolitanisms: Notions of the other in two western academic discourses on cosmopolitanism
- Diana Yeh, Re-imagining (British)-Chineseness: Transnationalism, diaspora and cultural production
Supervision of research students (PhD)
- Amira Ahmed, "Underprivileged Hierarchies" Paid household workers in the migration context: migrant women domestic workers in contemporary Egypt (COMPLETED)
- Henriette Gunkel, 'The cultural politics of female same-sex intimacy in post-apartheid South Africa' (COMPLETED)
- Micaela Told, 'A Gender Perspective on Transnationalism of the Sri Lankan Diaspora Communities in Germany - Influence on the Ethnic-Nationalist Conflict and Peace-Building in Sri Lanka' (COMPLETED)
- Ulrike Vieten, Situating Cosmopolitanisms: Notions of the other in two western academic discourses on cosmopolitanism (COMPLETED)
- Diana Yeh, Re-imagining (British)-Chineseness: Transnationalism, diaspora and cultural production (COMPLETED)
- Mastoureh Fathi, Education & Social Mobility: The Subjective Experience of Iranian Women Doctors in the UK (COMPLETED)
- Nicola Samson, Narratives of Women's Belonging: Life Stories from an East London Street (COMPLETED)
- Bahar Taseli, Representations of Collective 'Self and 'Other' in Turkish Cypriot Print Media Discourse (COMPLETED)
- Michaela Told, A Gender Perspective on Transnationalism of the Sri Lankan Diaspora Communities in Germany (COMPLETED)
- Rumana Hashem, Gender and armed conflict: the case of the Chittagong Hill Tracts