Dr Lorna Farquharson
Department of Professional Psychology , School of Psychology
Dr Lorna Farquharson has extensive experience of working as a clinical psychologist in the NHS, advising on national quality improvement projects that relate to psychological therapies and training clinical psychologists for the NHS.
She is the academic lead for the first year of the Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at UEL and the School of Psychology Research Degrees Lead. She is also the current Chair of the British Psychological Society’s Division of Clinical Psychology in London.
Areas Of Interest
- Understanding and addressing mental health inequalities
- Negative effects of psychological therapies
- Housing, homelessness and mental health
- Improving the quality of mental health services
- Yousefzadeh, H. & Farquharson, L. (2022). Preventing homelessness: Exploring the role of clinical psychology in adult mental health services. Clinical Psychology Forum, 356, 98-105.
- McQuaid, A., Sanatinia, R., Farquharson, L., Shah, P., Quirk, A., Baldwin, D. S. & Crawford, M. (2021). Patient experience of lasting negative effects of psychological interventions for anxiety and depression in secondary mental health care services: a national cross-sectional study. BMC Psychiatry 21, 578. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-021-03588-2
- Baldwin, D. S., Dang, M., Farquharson, L., Fitzpatrick, N, Lindsay, N., Quirk, A., Rhodes, E., Shah, P., Williams, R., & Crawford, M. J. (2021). Quality of English inpatient mental health services for people with anxiety or depressive disorders: Findings and recommendations from the core audit of the National Clinical Audit of Anxiety and Depression, Comprehensive Psychiatry, 104, 152212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2020.152212
- Williams, R., Farquharson, L., Rhodes, E., Dang, M., Butler, J., Quirk, A., Baldwin, D.S., & Crawford, M. J. (2020). Impact of Substance Use Disorder on Quality of Inpatient Mental Health Services for People with Anxiety and Depression, Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 17(1), 80-93. https://doi.org/10.1080/15504263.2020.1825892
- Williams, R., Farquharson, L., Rhodes, E., Dang, M., Lindsay, N., Quirk, A., Baldwin, D. S., & Crawford, M. J. (2020). Variation in clinical care associated with weekend admission and discharge in psychiatric in-patient units: retrospective case-note review. BJPsych open, 6(5), e103. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjo.2020.88
- McGrath, K., Shaw, J., & Farquharson, L. (2020). Barriers to accessing psychological treatment for medium to high risk male young offenders. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology, 31(4), 596-612. https://doi.org/10.1080/14789949.2020.1782969
- Williams, R., Farquharson, L., Rhodes, E., Dang, M., Fitzpatrick, N., Quirk, A., Baldwin, D. S., & Crawford, M. J. (2020) Impact of co‐morbid personality disorder on quality of inpatient mental health services for people with anxiety and depression. Personality and Mental Health, 14(4), 336-349. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmh.1484
- Farquharson, L. (2020). Adverse Effects of Psychological Therapies. In R. Tribe & J. Morrissey. (Eds.). The Handbook of Professional, Ethical and Research Practice for Psychologists, Counsellors, Psychotherapists and Psychiatrists (3rd ed., pp.129-140). Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429428838
- Herron, K., Farquharson, L., Wroe, A., & Sterr, A. (2018). Development and Evaluation of a Cognitive Behavioural Intervention for Chronic Post-Stroke Insomnia. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 46(6), 641-660. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465818000061
- Crawford, M., Thana, L., Farquharson, L., Palmer, L., Hancock, E., Bassett, P., Clarke, C., & Parry, G. (2016). Patient experience of negative effects of psychological treatment: results of a national survey. British Journal of Psychiatry, 208(3), 260-265. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.114.162628
- Williams, R., Farquharson, L., Palmer, L., Bassett, P., Clarke, J., Clark, D. M., & Crawford, M. (2016). Patient preference in psychological treatment and associations with self-reported outcome: national cross-sectional survey in England and Wales. BMC Psychiatry, 16(4), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-015-0702-8
- Georgiades, A., Farquharson, L. & Ellett, L. (2015). Resilience, recovery style and stress in early psychosis. Psychosis, 7(2), 183-185. https://doi.org/10.1080/17522439.2014.936028
- Brooks, A., Farquharson, L., Burnell, K., & Charlesworth, G. (2014). A narrative enquiry of experienced family carers of people with dementia volunteering in a carer supporter programme, Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 24(6), 491-502. https://doi.org/10.1002/casp.2188
- Chaplin, R., Farquharson, L., Clapp, M., & Crawford, M. (2014). Comparison of access, experiences and outcomes of older adults and working age adults in psychological therapy. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 30(2), 178-184. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.4122
- Farquharson, L., & MacLeod, A.K. (2014). A brief goal-setting and planning intervention to improve well-being for people with psychiatric disorders. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 83(2), 122-124. https://doi.org/10.1159/000356332
- Noble, L.M., Farquharson, L., O’Dwyer, N.A., & Behrens, R.H. (2014). The impact of injection anxiety on education of travellers about common travel risks. Journal of Travel Medicine, 21(2), 86-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/jtm.12081
- Hull, S., Kneebone, I., & Farquharson, L. (2012). Anxiety, depression and fall-related psychological concerns in community-dwelling older people. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 21(12), 1287-1291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2013.01.038
- Messenger, K., Farquharson, L., Stallworthy, P., Cawkhill, P., & Greenberg, N. (2012). The experiences of security industry contractors working in Iraq: an interpretative phenomenological analysis. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 54(7), 859-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e31824e676b
- Robinson, S., Turner, C., Heyman, I., & Farquharson, L. (2012). The Feasibility and Acceptability of a Cognitive-Behavioural Self-help Intervention for Adolescents with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Journal of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 41(1), 117-122. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465812000562
- Farquharson, L., Noble, L.M., & Behrens, R. H. (2011). Travel clinic communication and non-adherence to malaria chemoprophylaxis. Travel Medicine and Infectious Disease, 9, 278-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmaid.2011.09.004
- Hancock, E., Farquharson, L., & Chambers, E. (2011). What is real ‘treatment choice’ in mental health services? How choice in psychological therapies services is perceived by users of these services. Mental Health Today, 30-33.
- Farquharson, L. & Glover, D. (2010) Developing an effective partnership with the Community Development Worker Service. Clinical Psychology Forum, 210, 32-34.
- Halari, R., Premkumar, P., Farquharson, L., Fannon, D., Kuipers, E. & Kumari, V. (2009). Rumination and negative symptoms in schizophrenia. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 197(9), 703-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/NMD.0b013e3181b3af20
- Baylis, K., & Farquharson, L. (2005). Developing a service: Why bother with audit? Clinical Psychology Forum, 154, 16-20.
- Farquharson, L, Noble, L. M., Barker, C. & Behrens, R. B. (2004). Health beliefs and communication in the travel clinic consultation as predictors of adherence to malaria chemoprophylaxis. British Journal of Health Psychology, 9(2), 201-217. https://doi.org/10.1348/135910704773891050