Dr John Walsh
Department of Engineering & Construction , School of Architecture Computing and Engineering (ACE)
Dr John Walsh is a Civil Engineer specialising in Geotechnical Engineering, with over thirty years' experience in Contracting, Consultancy, Teaching and Research. He has been a Senior Lecturer at UEL for ten years, teaching across all civil engineering programmes, but with main responsibilities for BEng and MSc Geotechnics and for Final Year Projects.
Dr John Walsh graduated with a BSc Hons degree in Civil Engineering followed by a PhD in Geotechnical Engineering from Leeds University and has subsequently gained approximately 30 years in the civil engineering industry, split roughly equally between working for contractors, consultants and in academia. His work for contractors has included geotechnical site investigation, utilities construction and infrastructure projects; for consultants has involved geotechnical design including earthworks, offshore and onshore foundations and in academia as a research assistant at Liverpool University and in lecturing posts at Loughborough and UEL. He has been a Senior Lecturer at UEL for ten years, teaching across all civil engineering programmes but with main responsibilities for BEng and MSc Geotechnics and for Final Year Projects.
Dr Walsh gained his PhD in geotechnical engineering from Leeds University 1988 for laboratory testing on the behaviour of brick faced fabric reinforced earth retaining walls. Subsequently worked as a research assistant at Liverpool University investigating performance of road accident occurrence and performance of road surface dressings. Current research interests are primarily centred on excavations and retaining structures and performance of deep foundations.
- Wijeyesekera D.C, Mohamad Nazari N.A.F.B, Lim S.M., Masirin M.I., Zainorabidin A.B. and Walsh J. W. (2012) 'Investigation into the Urban Heat Island Effects from Asphalt Pavements' International Conference on Sustainable Development, 2012. Montclair State University, Montclair, New Jersey, July 31 - August 2 2012
- Wijeyesekera D.C. Walsh, J, Allen, R and H Bailey. (2010) 'Field Study of Urban Heat Island Effects from Asphalt Pavements' Sustainability in Geotechnical and Transportation Engineering Conference. Geotropika 2010. Sutera Harbour, Sabah, Malaysia 1 - 3 December 2010.
- Walsh, J.W. (2010) 'An analysis of the role of reflective practice in strengthening the integration of research results into civil engineering education' CIB 2010 World Congress. Salford Quays 10 - 13 May 2010
- Choollun V. K., Wijeyesekera, D.C., Potter, R and Walsh, J.W. (2009) 'Photoelastic Method Revisited for Residual Stress Measurement in High Density Polyethylene Pipes' Fourth Annual Conference on Advances in Computing Technology. UEL, London, 2009.
- Walsh, J.W. (1997) 'Some Implications on the use of Computer analysis on the Teaching of Civil Engineering' Third International Conference on Computer Based Learning in Science, De Montfort University, 1997
- Khalid, H and Walsh, J.W (1990) 'Failure Modes of Surface Dressings with Particular Reference to the Use of Polymer Modified Binders' Proceedings of the international Symposium on Highway Surfacing. Belfast, 1990.
- Walsh, J.W. (1988) Fabric Reinforced Brick Faced Earth Retaining Walls PhD Thesis, Leeds University, 1988
- Cousens T.W, Dalton D.C, and Walsh J.W (1986) 'The Behaviour of Composite Brick and Geotextile Earth Retaining Walls' Proceedings 4th Canadian Masonry Symposium. Fredericton, New Brunswick, 1986.
- Cousens T.W, Dalton D.C, and Walsh J.W (1986) 'The Behaviour of Brick Retaining Walls with and without Geotextile Reinforcement' Proceedings of the. ICE Symposium on Practical Design of Masonry Structures. London, 1986.
- Cousens T.W, Dalton D.C, and Walsh J.W (1986) 'Fabric Reinforced Brick Faced Earth Retaining Walls' Proceedings of the ICE Conf. on Building on Marginal and Derelict Land. Glasgow, 1986.
- CE6102 Geotechnical Engineering Design
- CE6104 Individual Research Project
- CE6110 Dissertation
- EG7004 Soil Structure Engineering
- CE5102 Geotechnical and Material Analysis
- CE5118 Geotechnical Properties
- EG7011 MSc Dissertation
Management of BEng and BSc undergraduate Projects