Film, Moving Image Research Centre (MIRC)
Department of Media, Fashion & Communications , School of Arts and Creative Industries
Senior Lecturer in Film for the School of Arts and Creative Industries.
My film work documents events in which I collaborate with people and institutions such as interpreters at the European Commission and a newsroom picture editor at the BBC. The focus of my work, intentionally positioned at the boundaries of art, documentary and media, is a critical engagement with televisual forms.
My work has been shown internationally in group- and solo exhibitions, as well as in film festivals including: New Contemporaries (UK), East International (UK), the Short Film Festival of Oberhausen (D), and Kunstverein Bielefeld (D).
Film: HUO, 2018, 29min (UK)
A portrait of the curator Hans-Ulrich Obrist, in which he asks questions that remain unanswered. HUO is a layered deconstruction of an individual, whose dream to realise the unrealisable remains.
- Director, Editor: Johannes Maier
- Cast: John Reardon, Hans Ulrich Obrist
- Camera: Kirsti Abernethy, Tristan Hayley, Andreea Guinoniu
- Sound: Jaimie Hee, Vishal Sidhu
- Production Assistant: Julien Loison, Charlotte Ginsborg
- Credits: Alexander Kluge in conversation with Jean Luc Godard
Film: Congregation, 2017, 6min (Iceland)
Congregation is a homage to the artist Dieter Roth’s project "Reykjavik Slides (31,035) Every View of a City" in which Roth attempted to take an image of all houses in the capital of Iceland.
- Writer, Director, Producer: Johannes Maier and Paul Becker
- Voice: Caroline Achaintre and Johannes Maier
Our innovative and strikingly diverse course equips you to integrate the theory and practice of film, video and new screen media at an advanced level.Find out more
BA (Hons) Film
We combine theory and practice - teaching you how to make films and delve into all aspects of the film world, from screenwriting to cinema history.Find out more