Dr Fiorentina Sterkaj
Department of Psychological Sciences , School of Psychology
- Chartered member (CPsychol) of the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (University of Westminster)
- Doctor of Philosophy - "Retrieval Induced Forgetting in Depression and Schizophrenia: Role of Mood and The Cholinergic System"
- PGCHE (Post Graduate Certificate of Teaching in Higher Education) - Theory and Practice of Teaching and Learning & Facilitating Student Learning
- BSc Hons Psychology
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a chartered Psychologist with the British Psychological Society. Student-centred learning and positive student experience is at the core of my practice with an ethos to 'encourage and empower' students to succeed, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.
I am honoured and privileged to lead our wonderful School of Psychology as the Director of Education and Experience, here at the University of East London. We have an amazing team of colleagues and students, a comprehensive range of courses and are fully committed to high quality, inclusive and equitable teaching and learning practices. In 2019, I received 'Heart of the University' award for my work in this area.
Areas of Interest
- Pedagogical research with a focus on making a difference to student learning and improving student experience in HE
- Problem-based learning and student engagement
- Improving mood and student wellbeing and reducing study-related stress
- Mental Health and Well-being, Mindfulness, Memory and Forgetting with a particular focus on Retrieval Induced Forgetting and Mood.
- Cognitive neuropsychology and psychopharmacology of memory in clinical populations: executive functioning, cognitive deficits associated with depression and schizophrenia.
Retrieval-induced forgetting in major depression: relationship with executive function, ruminating and smoking status.