Dr Ayse Burcin Baskurt
Module Leader, Flourishing within Organisational Systems
Department of Professional Psychology , School of Psychology
Burcin is a senior lecturer and module leader at the University of East London. Having a background in Sociology and Comparative Studies in History and Society in her undergraduate and graduate studies, she completed her PhD in Social and Organisational Psychology at Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey. Recently, she also earned an MSc degree in Applied Positive Psychology and Coaching Psychology at UEL and joined the MSc Applied Positive Psychology and Coaching Psychology (MAPPCP) team in May 2021.
- Life Coaching, University of Cambridge, Institute of Continuing Education, UK
Areas Of Interest
- Career calling, employee wellbeing, social support, work-family interface, leadership, culture, quantitative methods
Burcin's main areas of research are career calling, wellbeing, social support, work-family interface, culture, leadership and gender. She collaborated in various national and international research projects on career tracks of PhD graduates, success definitions of entrepreneurs, gender differences in worries about leadership and positive development of early adolescents. She published journal articles, book chapters and policy reports on these topics. She also presented research papers in international conferences, including Association for Psychological Society, American Sociological Association, International Society for the Study of Work and Organizational Values, International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology.
How does social support shape the relationship between career calling and PERMA?
- Rajadhyaksha, U., Korabik, K., & Başkurt, A. B. (2020). Work-family interface and crossover effects: Exploring for the effects of gender. In F. M. Cheung and D. F. Halpern (Eds.) The Cambridge Handbook of the International Psychology of Women (pp. 329-341). Cambridge University Press.
- Başkurt, A. B. & Aycan, Z. (2017) . The work-family interface in Turkey. In K. Korabik, Z. Aycan, R. Ayman (Eds.), The work-family interface in global context, (pp. 175-194). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Kabasakal, H., Aycan, Z., Başkurt, A. B., Varnalı, R. & Erdoğan, I. (2015). Girişimcilikte başarı kriterleri ve temel başarı faktörleri: Kadın-erkek karşılaştırması. In Ç. Kağıtçıbaşı, Himga, D. . Ş Barlas, M. Önok, Z. G. Göker (Eds.) Kadın odaklı, (pp. 83-115). İstanbul: Koç Üniversitesi Yayınları.
- Baskurt, A. B. (2022). Milenyum kusagi kariyer degistirmeye daha acik. Harvard Business Review (Turkey). Retrieved from: https://hbrturkiye.com/dergi/milenyum-kusagi-kariyer-degistirmeye-daha-acik
- Başkurt, A. B. & Kampman, H. (2021). How does social support shape the relationship between career calling and PERMA? The European Journal of Applied Positive Psychology, 6(4), 1-15.
- Karakulak, A., Baskurt, A. B., Koseoglu, G. & Aycan, Z. (2022). Worrying about
leadership: Is it a liability or advantage for leadership of women and men? Frontiers in Psychology, 13 (675522). doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2022.675522
- Erarslan (Başkurt), A. B. & Rankin, B. (2013) Gender role attitudes of female students in single-sex and coeducational high schools in Istanbul. Sex Roles, 69, 7-8, 455-468. doi: 10.1007/ s11199-013-0277-0.
- Erarslan (Başkurt), A. B. & Topçu, B. (2010). Picking the juice to the fruit: Case studies in Istanbul. Nota Bene Sabancı University Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, No: 3.
- Erarslan (Başkurt), A. B. (2009). Does educational attainment influence the amount of negative spillover? Nota Bene Sabancı University Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, No: 2.
- Aycan, Z. & Başkurt A. B. (2015). Predictors of unemployment among social sciences and humanities PhD graduates. POCARIM Policy Report. University of Salford.
- Erarslan (Başkurt), A. B. (2012). Does educational attainment influence the amount of negative spillover? Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) database. Available at: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED529104
Manuscripts in Preparation
- Aycan, Z., Eskin, Baskurt, A. B., & Arman, G. Work-family interface revisited.
- Başkurt, A. B., & Aycan, Z. The effects of satisfaction, stress and calling on career change intention of young professionals in Turkey.
Applied Positive Psychology
Our world-renowned Applied Positive Psychology programmes offer innovative training in psychology and coaching psychology across a variety of different specialisms.Study with us
- Flourishing within Organisational Systems