Events in Newham
Newham is set for a bumper jubilee weekend of celebrations with the news that 111 street parties and events are going to be held across the borough. Find out more about what's going on.
Newham Council highlights 39 indoor events, 34 street parties requiring closures, 11 school-led events, 13 outdoor events in the borough's parks and open spaces and 14 events aimed at people living in sheltered accommodation.
Among the events are:
- Stratford Jubilee Party at West Ham Lane on Wednesday 1 June.
- The Platinum Mela hosted by the Malayee Association of the UK at the Flanders Playing Fields, on Friday 3 June.
- Huddlestone Road E7 x The Big Jubilee Lunch on Sunday 5 June.
The official Platinum Jubilee webpage also lists details of events in the area.
There are also events in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and the Royal Docks that have been chosen by the Government to be part of the National Baton Relay ahead of the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, which start on 28 July. Events taking place on Sunday 5 June include:
- A boat flotilla carrying the baton from City Hall to Royal Albert Dock.
- At Pumping Station Square, Royal Albert Dock artistic community organisations will be showcasing their work.
- At Royal Victoria Gardens, North Woolwich, there will be a "right royal knees-up" including a free celebration concert, family activities and food and drink from 3pm-8pm.
Find out which roads and streets will be closed in Newham for celebrations.
Events around east London
- On Saturday, 4 June, at midday all the vessels on the Thames will sound one long blast to salute the Queen.
- Mile-long east London street party, Walthamstow along the High Street, Sunday 5 June from 1pm.
- The Big Jubilee lunch with locals invited to bring a picnic to Island Gardens Park on the Isle of Dogs, Sunday 5 June, from 11am.
- Platinum Jubilee Concert at the Victoria Park Bandstand, Tower Hamlets, on Sunday 5 June from 2pm.
The Queen's Birthday Parade - Thursday 2 June
The Queen's Birthday Parade will be held in the presence of the Queen. The colour will be trooped by the 1st Battalion, Irish Guards, and more than 1,200 officers and soldiers from the Household Division will put on a display of military pageantry featuring hundreds of Army musicians and around 240 horses. The Duke of Cambridge will take part in the parade from Buckingham Palace down the Mall to Horse Guards Parade. Live on the BBC and Sky from 10am.
Platinum Beacons: Lighting up the Jubilee - Thursday 2 June
The first day of the Platinum Jubilee will be marked by the traditional lighting of beacons across the nation and the Commonwealth. Communities will come together to light more than 1,500 beacons to celebrate the Queen's 70-year reign, and a principal beacon will be lit at Buckingham Palace. On BBC One from 8pm.
Service of Thanksgiving - Friday 3 June
On Friday 3 June, a Service of Thanksgiving for the Queen will be held at St Paul's Cathedral. Broadcast live on BBC One from 9.15am.
Platinum Party at the Palace - Saturday 4 June
A glittering group of performers from the worlds of music and dance will perform at the Platinum Party At The Palace concert which takes place at Buckingham Palace - and live on BBC One and BBC Radio 2 from 7.30pm. Queen + Adam Lambert, Alicia Keys, Hans Zimmer, Ella Eyre, Craig David, Mabel, Elbow and George Ezra will share the three-stage set with the likes of Duran Duran, Andrea Bocelli, Mimi Webb, Sam Ryder, Jax Jones, Celeste, Nile Rodgers, Sigala and Diversity.
Platinum Jubilee Pageant - Sunday 5 June
The Platinum Jubilee Pageant, taking place on the streets around the Buckingham Palace, will have all the excitement and spectacle of an international parade and carnival - awe-inspiring and filled with marvel and delight. The pageant will combine street arts, theatre, music, circus, carnival and costume to celebrate the Queen. On BBC One from 1pm.
Main image: Jacob King/PA Wire/PA Images.