The University of East London (UEL) proudly watched on as four of our very own elite sport scholars starred in the victory. Cassie Breen (Applied Positive Psychology and Coaching Psychology), Holly Winterburn (Sports, Physical Education and Development), Valentina Klocker (Business Management) and Paige Robinson (Sports management) were all part of the elite women’s side on Thursday evening.
Holly Winterburn's debut saw her get 22 points and six assists in 35 minutes, while Cassie Breen added seven rebounds to her 12 points.
It was a dominant performance from the Lions, who were leading from start to finish, and they now move one step closer to progressing to the group stage of the competition.
High Performance Programme
East London Sports, and the University of East London High Performance Programme in particular, takes the dual career aspirations of its student-athletes very seriously.
The University currently has 140 scholars, with 62 being female, and all four women playing for the Lions are part of our scholarship programme, with basketball being one of our performance sports.
Those looking to excel in both sports and academics are given the best support and guidance, plus academic flexibility where required. They can take inspiration from the fact that the dual career support of alumni student-athletes has ensured they have excelled in their careers upon graduating, from competing professionally and representing their country in sport to becoming the business leaders of the future.
In recognition of the suitability of East London Sport to support individuals with Dual Career aspirations, the University became a TASS Dual Career Accredited Site in 2018.
We are proud to offer a support programme that has a flexible approach in terms of allowing access to its services. We take a holistic approach, and our services are year-round and uncapped, meaning a student can access as much support as they need.
All members of the High Performance programme will receive:
- Unlimited physiotherapy and sports massage
- UKSCA-accredited strength and conditioning training and private access to scholar strength and conditioning facility Aqua East
- Active Recovery and Yoga Sessions
- Gold membership at SportsDock
- One-to-one Performance Lifestyle support
- East London Leisure and Gym Kit
- Access to a range of sports science support, including nutrition, psychology, physiology and biomechanics
- Priority access to on-campus accommodation and the option to stay with other athletes on the programme
Find out more about sport scholarships here.