Search for courses or information

Fees and funding

A postgraduate degree can bring you huge benefits – improved career progression, greater earning power, not to mention personal fulfilment. To support you in your postgraduate studies, we offer a generous package of scholarships, bursaries and discounts.
  •  50%


  • 15%


  • 5%


Government funding

    £10,000 to fund your Masters Programme under the Postgraduate Loans (PGL) scheme

    Postgraduate Loans (PGL)

    From the academic year 2016/17, the Government will for the first time provide a loan for postgraduate Masters study. The Postgraduate Loan (PGL) will provide non means-tested loans of up to £10,000 to taught and research masters students.  It will be paid to students as a contribution towards Tuition Fees, living costs and other course costs.

    Applications are open for the 2016/7 academic year and are made directly through Student Finance England.

    Please take a look at the Postgraduate Loans policy summary for an overview of the main features of the new loans.


    Loans will be available to UK Nationals (and individuals with settled status in the UK) who:
    • have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years on the first day of the first academic year of their course;
    • are most recently resident in England; 
    • have not moved to England from elsewhere in the UK and Islands solely for the purpose of attending the course

    Students may be eligible if they are an EU national or they have residency status as:

    • EEA or Swiss migrant worker
    • as a family member of any of the above or;
    • the child of a Swiss national
    • the child of a Turkish worker

    Postgraduate Loans

    What’s on offer?

    Home and EU students studying for a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) may be eligible for a tax-free bursary from the government, worth up to £25,000. These are paid in ten monthly instalments, directly into your UK bank account, starting in October each academic year. 

    Who’s eligible?

    As a PGCE student, your eligibility for financial support and the amount you will receive depends on the subject you plan to teach - as well as your degree classification or highest relevant academic qualification.

    EU students who have come to the UK purely to attend a teacher-training course will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only.

    How do I apply?

    UK Initial Teacher Training (ITT) students are treated in the same way as undergraduate students for funding purposes, and should apply online to Student Finance England for loans and grants.

    You can find out more about applying for PGCE funding at the Department for Education.

    Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)

    What’s on offer?

    If you have been accepted for one of our postgraduate social work courses, you can apply for a bursary from the NHS.

    If you’re successful, you will get help with your tuition and living costs. You may be able to receive other allowances if, say, you care for a dependent adult, you are a parent, or if you have a disability.

    Local authorities also operate an employment-based training scheme called Step up to social work, worth up to £19,000.

    Who’s eligible?

    You must be studying a college-based social work course on the NHS-approved list. You must not already hold a higher education social work qualification, including the Diploma in Social Work (DipSW).

    You must have been resident in the UK for the previous three years and to have settled status in the UK.

    You cannot apply for a social work bursary if you are receiving support from a social care employer, such as paid time off to allow you to attend your studies, or payment of all or part of your tuition fees.

    How do I apply?

    Apply online to the NHS.

    Social work NHS bursary

    Investing in your future

    Studying for a postgraduate degree is an investment in your future - worth an extra £200,000 in lifetime earnings compared to graduates. The knowledge, skills and experience you gain will help you stand out in the highly competitive graduate jobs market, launching you on your career path or taking your existing career in a new direction.

    We appreciate that finance is likely to be one of your key considerations in choosing to study for a postgraduate qualification. It’s only natural to wonder how you will pay your tuition fees, living expenses and other costs associated with studying at university.

    Fortunately, our Student Money Advice and Rights Team (SMART) are on hand to help you with any questions or problems you may have before and during your time as a University of East London student.

    Our SMART advisors can guide you through the funding options that are available, including the generous package of bursaries and scholarships that are available at UEL.

    They can also advise you on personal financial situation and provide tips on budgeting and managing any debts.

    Need advice on fees and funding options for your studies?

    Postgraduate study is an investment in your future. For guidance on the funding available and advice on how to keep control of your finances, contact our Student Money Advice and Rights Team (SMART).


    Tuition fees

    All universities charge tuition fees for their courses. At the University of East London, we offer a generous package of scholarships, bursaries and discounts to help you offset some of the costs.

    Tuition fees vary from course to course, so to find out what tuition fees you will be charged you need to look at the website page for the relevant course. Full-time courses are generally charged by the year, and there is a separate charging structure for international students.

    The fees for our Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses for the academic year 2016/17 are £9,000 for full-time home and EU students.

    If you are a UK ITT student, we will treat you in the same way as undergraduate students for funding purposes. This means you can apply online to Student Finance England for loans and grants.

    If you are an EU student, coming to the UK purely to attend a teacher-training course, you are eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only.

    UK and EU students studying for a PGCE may also be eligible for a bursary. Our bursaries are paid in ten monthly instalments, starting in October, directly into a UK bank account.

    Postgraduate fees for part-time courses are based on completion of modules. As with full-time study, different charges are paid by part-time International students.

    If you are a UK or EU student from a low-income household and you receive certain types of benefits, you may be eligible for UEL’s part-time fee waiver programme - worth up to £500. You must have a maximum gross income not higher than £18,200 (or £26,000 with a partner).

    You must also be receiving one of the following UK benefits: Job Seekers’ Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or New Deal Allowance. For more details of the waiver, contact our Student Money Advice and Rights Team at or call +44 (0)20 8223 4444.

    UEL funding and scholarships

    We offer a generous package of bursaries and scholarships to help postgraduate students at UEL – from general course fee discounts to subject-specific funding. Check your individual course page for details of the financial assistance available.

    Jamie Felton
    MSc (Hons) Strength and Conditioning, awarded a Postgraduate Scholarship 2013

    Receiving the UEL Postgraduate Scholarship has been a great help for my study. It means that I can afford to take on slightly less part-time work, which allows me to spend more time at university or doing work.

    External funding

    What’s on offer?

    Publically funded research council grants are a major funding source for postgraduate students in their specialist areas.

    The seven research bodies awarding this type of funding are: the Economic and Social Research Council; the Arts and Humanities Research Council; the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council; the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council; the Medical Research Council; the Natural Environment Research Council; and the Science and Technology Facilities Council.

    Who’s eligible?

    Research council grants are mostly awarded for PhD research or if you’re studying for a master’s degree that’s an integrated part a PhD programme.

    How do I apply?

    Contact the relevant research council for details of how to apply for a grant.
    What’s on offer?

    Trusts and charities offer postgraduate students small grants which don’t have to be repaid, although there is stiff competition for available funds.

    Details of what is on offer will depend on the individual organisation and sector involved. is a useful starting point for research on charitable organisations and trusts.

    Who’s eligible?

    To receive an award, you will have to satisfy very specific conditions, depending on your course. Charitable grants tend to be one-off payments rather than awards that continue throughout your course. So, even if you are successful, you will probably need to find extra funding sources elsewhere.

    How do I apply?

    You should study the website of the charity or trust you are interested in for details of how to apply for any grants they offer.

    If you are already a campus-based UEL student, you can access The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding using the pin number 2468. This publication provides details on how to secure funding from grants and charities.

    What’s on offer?

    We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 3416.

    A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning.

    For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the
    government website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
    If you are in work, your employer may sponsor you to do a postgraduate course. Under this arrangement, your employer agrees to pay, or contribute towards your tuition fees for a course that’s directly relevant and beneficial to them. This might include accountancy or technical roles such as planning and engineering.

    Most people studying for postgraduate qualifications are self-funding and gain their qualification through a combination of paid work and study.
    What’s on offer?

    If you are a UEL postgraduate architecture student, you may be able to apply to the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Walter Parker Bursary scheme, which will help you gain practical experience and help you qualify as an architect.

    Five bursaries of £6,000 each were awarded under the scheme in 2015. Successful students receive £1,000 a term throughout their Part 2 courses, up to a period of six terms.

    Who’s eligible?

    To apply, you must have been offered a place on, or studying for, a RIBA-validated Part 1 or Part 2 course in the UK. You also need to have lived full-time in the UK for at least three years before you started your first course in architecture.

    Your eligibility will depend on whether you are a RIBA Part 1 or Part 2 graduate, looking for Stage 1 or Stage 2 practical experience. You may also be seeking professional developmental opportunities outside term time - for example, during the summer holidays - and need extra financial support.

    The scheme also takes into account your financial need, your achievements to date, and your future potential, aims and aspirations.

    How do I apply?

    Read the information on the RIBA website or contact Hayley Russell, RIBA Education Projects Co-ordinator, on +44 (0)20 7307 3678 or at

    Charikleia Margariti

    MPhil Psychology

    UEL’s School of Psychology offered me a very interesting research project in my field of Health Psychology. I was really excited to work with the research team, and my supervisors gave me a very interesting experience. The bursary UEL offered me was quite enough for London's expenses.

    You may also be interested in